[meteorite-list] Where Did The Moon Come From? - Meteorite Contest Dave Answer

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:02 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C34711.F3BD4730

Hello David, Rand, and list,

David asked: "Dear Mark, could you re-run the winning answer/thesis to th=
e meteorite =20
contest of "Why Meteorites are Cool/Special" that was ran back last =20
Winter/Spring?
This thread is waffling on waffles and needs a boost.........or to go =20
gently into such a sweet goodnight!"

Hello David, =20

Meteorites are cool because they come to us from places in space where we=
 would =20
never be able to travel. They're cool because they're like nothing earth=
ly. =20
They've been called rocks, but they're not really. In fact, they seem to=
 be =20
alive in ways. When I see a meteorite with it's fusion crust, it reminds=
 me of =20
a poor, sore little puppy with it's fur singed off and a toasted hide. M=
y =20
often over-imaginative mind can almost hear a whimper when I look at one =
of =20
these wonderfully ancient messengers from the heavens. "Ouch! atmospheric=
 entry =20
hurts!" They're cool because they bring us clues concerning the nature o=
f =20
creation. They contain elements of life! They're cool because they seem=
 to =20
plan where they're going to land so that we have to work hard to find the=
m, and =20
they're cool because their mystique has brought you and me together and m=
ade us =20
friends. Rand Kluge.

                   Meteorites are Cool RAP Style

I was chill'n on da lawn neath a starry-speckled dawn, when I saw up in d=
a sky =20
what was candy to my eye; made my arm hairs stand on end and my knees giv=
e in =20
and bend so I lay down on da ground, hoping no one was around 'cause I kn=
ew I =20
looked insane, like a preacher in da rain singin "glory Halelujah! Let me=
 see =20
dat once again! Der's a party goin on in da starry-speckled dawn! Der's =
a =20
party goin on! Der's a party goin on! Der be meteors in flight dey be fly=
in =20
left an right like a thousand fireflies through a magic summer night. It'=
s a =20
shower from beyond; from da fairie's magic wand. It's a scattering of sta=
rdust =20
dat I see above da lawn. Der's a party goin! Der's a party goin on! Der's=
 a =20
party goin on or'e da court yard in da dawn. We be lookin in da sand. We=
 be =20
lookin left an right. Wanna find one when it lands, when its burned up i=
n its =20
light. Gotta find a thing dey call a "mee-dee-eee-dee-odor-ite" Gotta put=
 one =20
in my hand. Gota search all through da land! Gotta find a piece o heaven.=
 Gotta =20
hold it in my hand! Der's a party goin on in da starry-speckled dawn! De=
r's a =20
party goin on! Der's a party goin on! Gotta find a piece o heaven. Gotta=
 hold =20
it in my hand! Rand Kluge

                    Meteorites are Cool- 3rd Entry =
    =20
                                                                         =
      =20
O.K. You've heard from me before, but here goes again. =
       =20
                                                                         =
       =20
Here are the REAL reasons why meteorites are cool.......from my own perso=
nal =20
perspective: Somehow the universe and everything in it is tied together =
by one =20
common thread. Like an eternally lengthy necklace strung with a myriad of=
 =20
beads, we, the trees, the whales and the birds, the plankton and the amar=
ilis, =20
the primrose and the lynxs.....are all part of one whole, strung together=
 on a =20
force whose nature we seek to understand. This force is the essence of =20
creation. We call it God, Nature, carma, the Great Spirit.(Among many nam=
es.) =20
We have tried to define it throughout our history. We have organized =20
religions. We have fought wars over it. We have marveled at the overwhel=
ming =20
futility of trying to define eternity, the beginning of creation and the =20
intelligence behind it all. We are agnostics, nostics, Christian Scienti=
sts, =20
Shintos, Budhists, Muslim, Jew, Mormon, Quaker...We are a quilt-work of =20
hundreds or disciplines which all attempt to define our existence. We rea=
ch out =20
to find something physical to touch and see, which is ancient, magical, a=
nd =20
from the very heavens from which our creation originated. =20
This is why meteorites are cool from my point of view. A meteorite IS =20
physical! I can touch a meteorite! I can see a meteorite! A meteorite =
indeed =20
seems magical and IS from the heavens....more ancient and magical than an=
y =20
concrete object I know of. A meteorite is a capsule of creational clues w=
hich, =20
to an imaginative mind such as mine, comes straight from the hand of the =20
creator bearing an invitation to us; saying, STUDY ME! PRESERVE ME! TREA=
SURE =20
ME! I bare the answers to the mystery you seek to solve.....THE MYSTERY O=
F =20
CREATION! Rand Kluge. =20

Mark note: Some of you may remember that a few disagreed with my awardin=
g Rand, who entered several entries, which at that time was not a rule. =
Althought, the later contest I made a one entry rule. Complaints were to=
 the affect that Rand felt he needed to explain himself, which I do not t=
hink he did, but is a note that perhaps others should think before they c=
lick "SEND". Here is Rand's response to these e-mails....food for though=
t. =20

Hi everybody. This is Rand. No, I'm not a scientist. I don't work for =
NASA. =20
I'm not a mathematician. I don't have a collection of meteorites. I'm no=
t =20
wealthy by any means. I'm just a regular, average guy trying to figure th=
ings =20
out the best I can. So far I've spent 18.5 years as an enlisted man in t=
he =20
U.S. Army. How ironic! I despise war. I have a profound respect for li=
fe and =20
the environment. I saw a military career as an excellent opportunity for=
 me to =20
provide for my family. I served in the war zone, but not as a combatant.=
  I =20
served in a combat support hospital in the Arabian Desert providing human=
e =20
treatment for fellow soldiers and prisoners of war alike. Recently I was=
 =20
almost deployed again. Officials deemed it best that I stay home this tim=
e. I =20
concur with their decision. My wife, Gina is severely disabled in advanc=
ed =20
stages of multiple sclerosis. She needs me here.
I'd like to share something with the list. One night my wife lay in her =
bed =20
watching television. Observing the performers on screen she said, "I wis=
h I =20
could be a star." I responded, "You ARE a star!" Right now as you fight=
 this =20
disease with all of your determination, You are a star! As you raised our=
 =20
children and worked to supplement our income, You were a star! As you aid=
ed =20
your parents, their lives dwindling in their twilight, you were a star. =
As you =20
continue your life, doing the very best you can do, you will continue on =
as a =20
star!
So are YOU ALL STARS! Each of you in your own way! Here in this list we=
 have =20
people from many walks of life, from countries around the world. Whatever=
 your =20
strengths may be, in each or your distinct assemblage of personality trai=
ts and =20
talents, as you do your best....You are ALL STARS! I'm honored to be amo=
ng =20
your associates. Rand Kluge =20

PS David: I like waffles.

Mark Bostick
www.MeteoriteArticles.com

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C34711.F3BD4730

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <=
DIV>Hello David, Rand, and list,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV=
> <DIV>David asked: "Dear Mark, could you re-run the winning answer/thesi=
s to the meteorite <BR>contest of "Why Meteorites are Cool/Special" that =
was ran back last <BR>Winter/Spring?<BR>This thread is waffling on waffle=
s and needs a boost.........or to go <BR>gently into such a sweet goodnig=
ht!"<BR></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Hello David, </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DI=
V> <DIV>Meteorites are cool because they come to us from places in space =
where we would <BR>never be able to travel.&nbsp; They're cool because th=
ey're like nothing earthly.&nbsp; <BR>They've been called rocks, but they=
're not really.&nbsp; In fact, they seem to be <BR>alive in ways.&nbsp; W=
hen I see a meteorite with it's fusion crust, it reminds me of <BR>a poor=
, sore little puppy with it's fur singed off and a toasted hide.&nbsp; My=
 <BR>often over-imaginative mind can almost hear a whimper when I look at=
 one of <BR>these wonderfully ancient messengers from the heavens. "Ouch!=
 atmospheric entry <BR>hurts!"&nbsp; They're cool because they bring us c=
lues concerning the nature of <BR>creation.&nbsp; They contain elements o=
f life!&nbsp; They're cool because they seem to <BR>plan where they're go=
ing to land so that we have to work hard to find them, and <BR>they're co=
ol because their mystique has brought you and me together and made us <BR=
>friends.&nbsp; Rand Kluge.<BR></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Meteorites are Cool RAP Style<BR><BR>I was chill'=
n on da lawn neath a starry-speckled dawn, when I saw up in da sky <BR>wh=
at was candy to my eye; made my arm hairs stand on end and my knees give =
in <BR>and bend so I lay down on da ground, hoping no one was around 'cau=
se I knew I <BR>looked insane, like a preacher in da rain singin "glory H=
alelujah! Let me see <BR>dat once again! Der's a party goin on in da star=
ry-speckled dawn!&nbsp; Der's a <BR>party goin on! Der's a party goin on!=
 Der be meteors in flight dey be flyin <BR>left an right like a thousand =
fireflies through a magic summer night. It's a <BR>shower from beyond; fr=
om da fairie's magic wand. It's a scattering of stardust <BR>dat I see ab=
ove da lawn. Der's a party goin! Der's a party goin on! Der's a <BR>party=
 goin on or'e da court yard in da dawn. We be lookin in da sand.&nbsp; We=
 be <BR>lookin left an right.&nbsp; Wanna find one when it lands, when it=
s burned up in its <BR>light. Gotta find a thing dey call a "mee-dee-eee-=
dee-odor-ite" Gotta put one <BR>in my hand. Gota search all through da la=
nd! Gotta find a piece o heaven. Gotta <BR>hold it in my hand! Der's a pa=
rty goin on in da starry-speckled dawn!&nbsp; Der's a <BR>party goin on! =
Der's a party goin on! Gotta find a piece o heaven.&nbsp; Gotta hold <BR>=
it in my hand!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Rand Kluge<BR><BR></DIV> <DIV>&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Meteorites are Cool- 3rd Entry&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp; <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>O.K.&nbsp; You've heard from=
 me before, but here goes again.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <=
BR>Here are the REAL reasons why meteorites are cool.......from my own pe=
rsonal <BR>perspective:&nbsp; Somehow the universe and everything in it i=
s tied together by one <BR>common thread. Like an eternally lengthy neckl=
ace strung with a myriad of <BR>beads, we, the trees, the whales and the =
birds, the plankton and the amarilis, <BR>the primrose and the lynxs.....=
are all part of one whole, strung together on a <BR>force whose nature we=
 seek to understand.&nbsp; This force is the essence of <BR>creation. We =
call it God, Nature, carma, the Great Spirit.(Among many names.)&nbsp; <B=
R>We have tried to define it throughout our history.&nbsp; We have organi=
zed <BR>religions.&nbsp; We have fought wars over it. We have marveled at=
 the overwhelming <BR>futility of trying to define eternity, the beginnin=
g of creation and the <BR>intelligence behind it all.&nbsp; We are agnost=
ics, nostics, Christian Scientists, <BR>Shintos, Budhists, Muslim, Jew, M=
ormon, Quaker...We are a quilt-work of <BR>hundreds or disciplines which =
all attempt to define our existence. We reach out <BR>to find something p=
hysical to touch and see, which is ancient, magical, and <BR>from the ver=
y heavens from which our creation originated.&nbsp; <BR>This is why meteo=
rites are cool from my point of view.&nbsp; A meteorite IS <BR>physical!&=
nbsp; I can touch a meteorite!&nbsp; I can see a meteorite!&nbsp; A meteo=
rite indeed <BR>seems magical and IS from the heavens....more ancient and=
 magical than any <BR>concrete object I know of. A meteorite is a capsule=
 of creational clues which, <BR>to an imaginative mind such as mine, come=
s straight from the hand of the <BR>creator bearing an invitation to us; =
saying, STUDY ME!&nbsp; PRESERVE ME! TREASURE <BR>ME! I bare the answers =
to the mystery you seek to solve.....THE MYSTERY OF <BR>CREATION!&nbsp;&n=
bsp; Rand Kluge.&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR><BR></DIV> <DIV>Mark note:&nbsp; Some of=
 you may remember that a few disagreed with my awarding Rand, who entered=
 several entries, which at that time was not a rule.&nbsp; Althought, the=
 later contest I made a one entry rule.&nbsp;&nbsp;Complaints were to the=
 affect that Rand felt he needed to explain himself, which I do not think=
 he did, but is a note that perhaps others should think before they click=
 "SEND".&nbsp;&nbsp;Here is Rand's response to these e-mails....food for =
thought. </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Hi everybody.&nbsp; This is Rand.&=
nbsp; No, I'm not a scientist.&nbsp; I don't work for NASA. <BR>I'm not a=
 mathematician. I don't have a collection of meteorites.&nbsp; I'm not <B=
R>wealthy by any means. I'm just a regular, average guy trying to figure =
things <BR>out the best I can.&nbsp; So far I've spent 18.5 years as an e=
nlisted man in the <BR>U.S. Army.&nbsp; How ironic!&nbsp; I despise war.&=
nbsp; I have a profound respect for life and <BR>the environment.&nbsp; I=
 saw a military career as an excellent opportunity for me to <BR>provide =
for my family.&nbsp; I served in the war zone, but not as a combatant.&nb=
sp; I <BR>served in a combat support hospital in the Arabian Desert provi=
ding humane <BR>treatment for fellow soldiers and prisoners of war alike.=
&nbsp; Recently I was <BR>almost deployed again. Officials deemed it best=
 that I stay home this time.&nbsp; I <BR>concur with their decision.&nbsp=
; My wife, Gina is severely disabled in advanced <BR>stages of multiple s=
clerosis.&nbsp; She needs me here.<BR>I'd like to share something with th=
e list.&nbsp; One night my wife lay in her bed <BR>watching television.&n=
bsp; Observing the performers on screen she said, "I wish I <BR>could be =
a star."&nbsp; I responded, "You ARE a star!"&nbsp; Right now as you figh=
t this <BR>disease with all of your determination, You are a star! As you=
 raised our <BR>children and worked to supplement our income, You were a =
star! As you aided <BR>your parents, their lives dwindling in their twili=
ght, you were a star.&nbsp; As you <BR>continue your life, doing the very=
 best you can do, you will continue on as a <BR>star!<BR>So are YOU ALL S=
TARS!&nbsp; Each of you in your own way!&nbsp; Here in this list we have =
<BR>people from many walks of life, from countries around the world. What=
ever your <BR>strengths may be, in each or your distinct assemblage of pe=
rsonality traits and <BR>talents, as you do your best....You are ALL STAR=
S!&nbsp; I'm honored to be among <BR>your associates.&nbsp; Rand Kluge <B=
eArticles.com">www.MeteoriteArticles.com</A></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C34711.F3BD4730--