[meteorite-list] Meteors Seen Over Central California

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:02 2004

Hello, Ron and the list,

it would be a great help to say, are these from the active
showers or sporadic ones, if there was some reports of
the radiants of the meteors. The brightens of the last of
these sounds quite high, anyway, the showers can have
sometimes also very bright ones too.

As far as I know, the showers havenīt made any droppers
this far, but if there is a question about a "sporadic shower",
it makes the situation different.
I have seen "sporadic showers" with 10 - 15 quite bright ones /
hour. Itīs also possible, some of these are from active showers,
some are sporadics, anyway, itīs usually so, when meteors are
reported in public, the activity of people to report goes higher.

This one sounds interresting and may be worth to check more
closely, if possible. Usually the meteors from common showers
donīt make much noise.
There was just 1 person, who heard the explosion, so the
health skeptism should be remembered, but anyway...this person
should be talked with.

-------------------------

At 10 p.m. July 9, 2003, several people in Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo
County, California, saw a burning object fall out of the sky. It
appeared so much like a burning airplane that some called the local law
enforcement agency to report. One woman heard an explosion and believes
she saw the burning object land near her home. A web search on meteor
showers, as this was reported in local news to be, led us to a
photograph of the Yukon meteorite in Jan. 2000, which shows a burning
object similar to what was witnessed here.

We had a quite nice showers in Northern Finland some months ago, then a
local geophysican found the
hole in the ice, and the hoax was ready to publish...

take care,

pekka