[meteorite-list] DOD Satellites Detect March 2003 Bolide Over Park Forest

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:01 2004

Hi Larry and all,

Thetoprok_at_aol.com wrote:

On a second trip I met with a man named Atul Kumar, He isn't a scientist but he has
been gathering info on the strewn field for the astronomy club that he is involved
with. He has compiled quite a list/map of stones that were recovered, including
weights and locations of recovery, and his map indicates the same S.E. to N.W.
direction, with the larger stones coming from the N.W. end of the strewn field.

Atul is a interesting individual and means well but out of all the specimens he had
gathered, I look at several hundred of his pieces and all were slag's that are found
in the area. He then wanted some cut to verify which I did. Very vesicular and not
meteoritic at all. Ironically some do have bits of metal embedded in them but no doubt
from the steel mills or some other fabrication places from the area. No doubt used as
fill and so forth in the region. He did have a couple of nice individuals that were
real and interviewed a number of people who had stones fall in their yard.

His data might be incorrect if he is including the non-meteorites which I examined and
had a hard time convincing him they were not related to the fall. All my best!

--AL