[meteorite-list] follow-up finds and their documentation

From: John Divelbiss <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:28 2004

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C2D7A3.A33202C0

Hello all,

I'm about to ask one of those wandering (also wondering) questions =
again...one that probably won't be answered to everyone's satisfaction, =
especially mine. Here goes...

With all the latest Campos, Sikhote Alins, Kainez, Gao, Gold Basin, and =
others (I'm sure) being found these days...what (if any) verification =
and documentation is done with these latest finds of known meteorites. =
Are finders required/supposed to follow any particular steps to comply =
with the rules(whatever they are) of the Society that should eventually =
affect the total weights for these known falls/finds. Is the =
documentation of these and other "follow-up" finds out of control these =
days with the interest of meteorites being so high, and the desire to =
find more specimens paralleling that interest? I'm just curious. It =
doesn't bother me one way or the other...I just find the issue very =
daunting from a documentation point of view.

I suppose a newly found Sikhote Alin looks like the ones found years =
before...and that most buyers look at it and say that is a SA and would =
buy it. Is it documented and added it to a running total? Is it supposed =
to be? Campos are also somewhat distinct in their appearance, but I'm =
not sure I could tell if one is for sure...if someone asked. The stones =
are often distinct in their appearance for a given name meteorite, and =
most buyers know what they are looking at...but (for example)some Gold =
Basin look just like many NWA's found in recent years. Weathered...and =
old looking.

The source of supplier is always the key for us buyers...we have to have =
trust. The IMCA helps this situation in my opinion. Another key is to =
visually recognize the look of a particular meteorite from experience. A =
problem with this is that the experience level for recognizing a given =
meteorite can have a wide range within a group of buyers.

Notice I did not lump NWA's into this because it becomes even more gray =
as you look at them...from my simple mind's perspective. However, the =
scrutiny is much higher for them than the others...even though the level =
of "documentation" maybe the same...none, other than it looks like the =
others and were found in the vicinty of the original finds.=20

Be gentle,

John

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C2D7A3.A33202C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hello all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'm about to ask one of those wandering (also =
wondering)=20
questions again...one that probably won't be answered to everyone's=20
satisfaction, especially mine. Here goes...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>With all the latest Campos, Sikhote Alins, Kainez, =
Gao, Gold=20
Basin, and others (I'm sure) being found these days...what (if any) =
verification=20
and documentation is done with these&nbsp;latest finds of known =
meteorites. Are=20
finders required/supposed&nbsp;to follow any particular steps&nbsp;to =
comply=20
with the rules(whatever they are)&nbsp;of the Society that should =
eventually=20
affect the total weights for these known falls/finds. Is the=20
documentation&nbsp;of these and other "follow-up" finds&nbsp;out of =
control=20
these days with the interest of meteorites being so high, and the desire =
to find=20
more specimens paralleling that interest?&nbsp;I'm just curious. It =
doesn't=20
bother me one way or the other...I just find the issue very daunting =
from a=20
documentation point of view.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I suppose a newly found&nbsp;Sikhote Alin looks like =
the ones=20
found years before...and that most buyers look at it and say that is a =
SA=20
and&nbsp;would buy it. Is it documented&nbsp;and added it to a running =
total? Is=20
it supposed to be?&nbsp;Campos are also somewhat distinct in their =
appearance,=20
but I'm not sure I could tell if one is for sure...if someone asked. The =
stones=20
are often distinct in their appearance for a given name meteorite, and =
most=20
buyers know what they are looking at...but (for example)some Gold Basin =
look=20
just like many NWA's found in recent years.&nbsp;Weathered...and old=20
looking.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The source of supplier&nbsp;is always the key for us =

buyers...we have to have trust. The IMCA helps this situation in my=20
opinion.&nbsp;Another key is to&nbsp;visually recognize the look of a =
particular=20
meteorite from experience. A problem with this is that the experience =
level for=20
recognizing a given meteorite can have a wide range within a group of=20
buyers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Notice I did not lump NWA's into this because it =
becomes even=20
more gray as you look at them...from my simple mind's perspective. =
However, the=20
scrutiny is much higher for them than the others...even though the level =
of=20
"documentation" maybe the same...none, other than it looks like the =
others and=20
were found in the vicinty of the original finds. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Be gentle,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>John</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C2D7A3.A33202C0--