[meteorite-list] Meteoright? -photos

From: N Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:03 2004

------=_NextPart_000_009E_01C3C9A0.9CF29600

Doug,

The metal specks in the ground surface sure look right! The strong =
rusting of the exterior makes the chances of fusion crust preservation =
pretty remote. Even with one of the bloody little devils in our hands, =
it takes a lot of soul searching to feel "sure", but based on a fuzzy =
photo, I'd bet you have a winner. =20

In the natural mineral kingdom, the only likely candidates for the =
speaker magnet test are magnetite, maghemite, and pyrrhotite. The =
first two are already oxides, and don't rust as in your pics. =
Pyrrhotite will rust, but on a polished surface is brassy to bronzy, not =
gray. Man-made stuff is another ball of worms, but your textures don't =
look synthetic.

Be sure and post the final "vote" tally!

Cheers,

Norm (http://tektitesource.com)=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20