[meteorite-list] Meteoright? -photos

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:03 2004

--part1_25.42712ab7.2d1a7e9d_boundary

http://community.webshots.com/album/106219825vellHy

resend with new link above (Thanks Mark, A, L, and others who wrote me askin=
g=20
for the image)

OK, I have yet another try of posting photos, so this should finally work.=
=A0=20
The following stone, basically teardrop shaped, 1 cm X 1 cm X 0.6 cm, or 1 c=
m X=20
0.6 cm X 0.6 cm depending how you measure, weighing in the neighborhood of 1=
=20
g was found by me in a very desertic area, in a water runoff that probably=20
gets rained on once a year.=A0 It sticks to my OEM poor quality speaker magn=
et, and=20
jumps up to a stronger magnet with a click.=A0 The surface has a distinctly=20
rusty coating, though it appears that a blackened layer may be under.=A0 It=20
initially leaves a light rust colored streak on the back of a ceramic tile b=
ut that=20
seems to stop completely as the outer oxidation is removed.=A0 I took it to=20=
the=20
side of the cutting surface of a home ceramic tile cutting wheel to make a=20
window, which was crude, so I smoothed with sandpaper.=A0 Neither before or=20=
after=20
the sanding was I able to see any green crystalline evidence, but the sandin=
g=20
brought out shiny metal, intersperced in a gray matrix.=A0 Some rust remains=
 on=20
the window as I didn't want to shave the pebble away.=A0 Whether there are=20
chondrules in the face I don't know, there appear darker spots, and I'd appr=
eciate it=20
if the list can tell me if they see fusion crust, which I think I see,=20
but...I have no reference collectings and resident experts around.=A0 I am p=
retty=20
convinced that this one (of my 17 candidates is a meteorite, but I could be=20
biased.=A0 15 of the other 16 are already eliminated.=A0 Please give me a ha=
nd on this=20
one.=A0 All pictures are of the same stone, at the limit of my digital camer=
a=20
resolution.=A0 The true color is in between the bright and shadow shot in Me=
t-1.=A0=20
Is it? Thanks!
Doug

--part1_25.42712ab7.2d1a7e9d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><A HREF=3D"http://community.webshot=
s.com/album/106219825vellHy">http://community.webshots.com/album/106219825ve=
llHy</A><BR>
<BR>
resend with new link above (Thanks Mark, A, L, and others who wrote me askin=
g for the image)<BR>
<BR>
OK, I have yet another try of posting photos, so this should finally work.=
=A0 The following stone, basically teardrop shaped, 1 cm X 1 cm X 0.6 cm, or=
 1 cm X 0.6 cm X 0.6 cm depending how you measure, weighing in the neighborh=
ood of 1 g was found by me in a very desertic area, in a water runoff that p=
robably gets rained on once a year.=A0 It sticks to my OEM poor quality spea=
ker magnet, and jumps up to a stronger magnet with a click.=A0 The surface h=
as a distinctly rusty coating, though it appears that a blackened layer may=20=
be under.=A0 It initially leaves a light rust colored streak on the back of=20=
a ceramic tile but that seems to stop completely as the outer oxidation is r=
emoved.=A0 I took it to the side of the cutting surface of a home ceramic ti=
le cutting wheel to make a window, which was crude, so I smoothed with sandp=
aper.=A0 Neither before or after the sanding was I able to see any green cry=
stalline evidence, but the sanding brought out shiny metal, intersperced in=20=
a gray matrix.=A0 Some rust remains on the window as I didn't want to shave=20=
the pebble away.=A0 Whether there are chondrules in the face I don't know, t=
here appear darker spots, and I'd appreciate it if the list can tell me if t=
hey see fusion crust, which I think I see, but...I have no reference collect=
ings and resident experts around.=A0 I am pretty convinced that this one (of=
 my 17 candidates is a meteorite, but I could be biased.=A0 15 of the other=20=
16 are already eliminated.=A0 Please give me a hand on this one.=A0 All pict=
ures are of the same stone, at the limit of my digital camera resolution.=
=A0 The true color is in between the bright and shadow shot in Met-1.=A0 Is=20=
it?&nbsp; Thanks!<BR>
Doug<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>