[meteorite-list] re: Bootids (Quadrantids) meteor shower and 2003 EH1

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:03 2004

> while the DUST distribution seems to have uniformized through
> the whole orbit in very short timing according to the paper and
> other sources, observers, etc., a disintegration event would likely
> still have any larger pieces nearer the main body, right?

Hello Dough,

That cannot be excluded of course. While called a "parent body", it is
equally valid to regard 2003 EH1 as just the biggest meteoroid in the
stream. Indeed, there could be fragments with sizes between the range ends
defined by 2003 EH1 and normal Quadrantid meteoroids. You are right in that.

Still I do not think this stream is a likely source of meteorites. You point
to the St. Mark's EH5, and Lost City H5 (which anyhow has an orbit unlike
that of 2003 EH1). St. Mark's is a chondrite with a rather
high petrologic grade (5), i.e. it has undergone thermal metamorphism.
Those are not the kind of bodies that I would connect with the clearly
cometary Quadrantid meteoroids.

Cheers,

- Marco

------