[meteorite-list] Re: Cutting Meteorites

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:46 2004

--part1_1e2.15770e29.2d0c0ec4_boundary

Bob - Not Chondrite Lung disease. Just Garden variety lung and nasal cancer.

CharlyV - First my geocities site has gremlins, and now Bob M. can't do his
hobby in peace without fear of catching some fierce E.T. disease...you're a
real hypochondrite, man !!

Just joking Charly, for what it's worth I'm a chemist, and CharlyV is right
on (Peace).

According to the American EPA (see link), it is a linear response relating
refinery dust (includes sulfides), if your breathe it chronically you will have
one in 10,000 odds, at 0.0000004 grams per cubic meter of air. That is
considered quite large by toxicologists (chemist usually don't read the
instructions, so chemists aren't usually of much help...their life spans are on the
average 10 years less, too, really, and lets not look at the last years of quality).
 So it is a recognized human carcinogen.

They further say it is a linear cause effect relationship and show some
epidimological numbers. Which roughly translate that snorting 0.000146 grams per
cubic meter of air for just one day of the year having the same 1 in 10,000
results. Or looked at another way: The average person breathes about 8 cubic
meters of air per day. These odds are for 1.17 mg total breathed in in one day.
 At 0.117 gram per day of Ni dust, one day a year...you have 1 in a 100
chance. of getting these cancers. Or at least one person on this list. My
extrapolations are not rigorous...but they shouldn't be unfounded, either.

Did Nininger live to be 99 years old? Goes to show that individual response
and statistics are two separate issues...but a dust mask is definity a good
idea. Enough people get colon cancer from eating barbecued and smoked foods, to
make it believable that ingesting burnt out stardust has a lot of inorganic
nasties besides just worrying about nickel. One could always drop cutting and
polishing for rose-garden tending...or just not breath that interplanetary
and intergalactic dust in. Its not the same stuff Tinkerbell blows magic spells
with...even though its nice to let the imagination run...

<A HREF="http://www.epa.gov/iris/subst/0272.htm">http://www.epa.gov/iris/subst/0272.htm</A>

(this is the closest match the EPA has investigated.)

Saludos
Doug Dawn
Mexico

En un mensaje con fecha 12/12/2003 11:36:54 PM Mexico Standard Time,
cviau_at_beld.net escribe:

> Asunto: RE: [meteorite-list] Re: Cutting Meteorites
> Fecha: 12/12/2003 11:36:54 PM Mexico Standard Time
> De: <A HREF="mailto:cviau_at_beld.net">cviau@beld.net</A>
> Para: <A HREF="mailto:meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com">meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com</A>
> Enviado por Internet
>

> Yes, but only for a dremmel. You pro's cut with big equipment and use
> liquid
> Coolants that must trap all of the dust. A dremmel using a cutting wheel
> really puts out a lot of dust in the air. Not being a chemist, I do
> think that airborne nickel dust might be poisonous... A dust mask cannot
> be a bad idea.
>
> CharlyV

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Bob - Not Chondrite Lung disease.&nbsp; Just Garden va=
riety lung and nasal cancer.<BR>
<BR>
CharlyV - First my geocities site has gremlins, and now Bob M. can't do his=20=
hobby in peace without fear of catching some fierce E.T. disease...you're a=20=
real hypochondrite, man !!<BR>
<BR>
Just joking Charly, for what it's worth I'm a chemist, and CharlyV is right=20=
on (Peace).<BR>
<BR>
According to the American EPA (see link), it is a linear response relating r=
efinery dust (includes sulfides), if your breathe it chronically you will ha=
ve one in 10,000 odds, at 0.0000004 grams per cubic meter of air.&nbsp; That=
 is considered quite large by toxicologists (chemist usually don't read the=20=
instructions, so chemists aren't usually of much help...their life spans are=
 on the average 10 years less, too, really, and lets not look at the last ye=
ars of quality).&nbsp; So it is a recognized human carcinogen.<BR>
<BR>
They further say it is a linear cause effect relationship and show some epid=
imological numbers.&nbsp; Which roughly translate that snorting 0.000146 gra=
ms per cubic meter of air for just one day of the year having the same 1 in=20=
10,000 results.&nbsp; Or looked at another way:&nbsp; The average person bre=
athes about 8 cubic meters of air per day.&nbsp; These odds are for 1.17 mg=20=
total breathed in in one day.&nbsp; At 0.117 gram per day of Ni dust, one da=
y a year...you have 1 in a 100 chance. of getting these cancers.&nbsp; Or at=
 least one person on this list.&nbsp; My extrapolations are not rigorous...b=
ut they shouldn't be unfounded, either.<BR>
<BR>
Did Nininger live to be 99 years old?&nbsp; Goes to show that individual res=
ponse and statistics are two separate issues...but a dust mask is definity a=
 good idea.&nbsp; Enough people get colon cancer from eating barbecued and s=
moked foods, to make it&nbsp; believable that ingesting burnt out stardust h=
as a lot of inorganic nasties besides just worrying about nickel.&nbsp; One=20=
could always drop cutting and polishing for rose-garden tending...or just no=
t breath that interplanetary and intergalactic dust in.&nbsp; Its not the sa=
me stuff Tinkerbell blows magic spells with...even though its nice to let th=
e imagination run...<BR>
<BR>
<A HREF=3D"http://www.epa.gov/iris/subst/0272.htm">http://www.epa.gov/iris/s=
ubst/0272.htm</A><BR>
<BR>
(this is the closest match the EPA has investigated.)<BR>
<BR>
Saludos<BR>
Doug Dawn<BR>
Mexico<BR>
<BR>
En un mensaje con fecha 12/12/2003 11:36:54 PM Mexico Standard Time, cviau_at_b=
eld.net escribe:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Asunto: <B>RE: [meteorite-list]=
 Re: Cutting Meteorites </B><BR>