[meteorite-list] a serious meteorite question!

From: Bob King <lakewind_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:45 2004

Hi Tom,
The idea that there was a planet there once upon a time has pretty
much gone by the wayside. According to what I've read the reason
there is no planet between Mars and Jupiter is because Jupiter's
enormous gravity stirred up that zone to such a degree that a planet
could never come together from the small pieces (asteroids) that were
there. Even today Jupiter continues to wreak havoc with asteroids that
fall into particular areas of the region that are in a simple resonance
with Jupiter's orbital period. When that happens the asteroid's period
can be changed so that it either drops in closer to the inner planets or is
ejected altogether from the solar system.
Our many different irons come from a large variety of parent bodies or
asteroids. Matter of fact there are more iron parent bodies believed to
be represented in meteorite collections than chondrites.
Hope this helps.
Bob