[meteorite-list] a serious meteorite question!

From: Tom aka James Knudson <knudson911_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:45 2004

Hello List,
    My daughter and I were discussing iron meteorites, and she came up with
a question that I couldn't answer, and I was hoping one of you could.
    Some people think that there was a large planet between Jupiter and
Saturn and it was destroyed by a cataclysmic catastrophe of biblical
proportions which resulted in the asteroid belt where most of our meteorites
are believed to come from. Does this sound right so far?
    Iron meteorites are believed to be from the core of a planet such as the
one that was destroyed by the cataclysmic catastrophe.
    Is it thought that some of our iron meteorites come from the asteroid
belt? If so, it would seem like different iron falls would match beings
they came from the same iron core?
    Has any two irons from separate falls been matched? It would seem like
more than one iron meteoroid would have came from the asteroid belt and end
up an iron meteorite. Am I missing something?

Thanks, Tom
Peregrineflier <><
Yea, that's right,
The proudest member of the IMCA # 6168