[meteorite-list] Cutting meteorites (was, "Hey, I am an idiot for grinding!!!!! ")

From: Walter Branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:40 2004

Hello List Members,

I experimented with a Dremel a few years ago and I was very dissatisfied
with the results. You can't cool the blade, it vibrated heavily, the kerf
was too wide and the blade was too small, etc...

Hi-tech products makes nice, inexpensive lapidary trim saws. I have used
both the 4/5 inch and 6 inch models (with 5/8 inch arbor - Bob's right,
watch that arbor size) shown here, and I am very happy with the results:
http://www.hitechdiamond.com/saws_buffers.htm

What I would really be interested in is the methods that others use to
polish stone slices. I seem to go through polishing pads fairly quickly.

-Walter

www.branchmeteorites.com
Walter Branch, Ph.D.
Branch Meteorites