[meteorite-list] Cutting meteorites (was, "Hey, I am an idiot for grinding!!!!! ")

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:39 2004

Lest any of the newbies to our List think that we all
cut our stony meteorites with tile saws or Dremels,
allow me to remind you what this thread was about
originally - how to cut small meteorites if you are on
a very limited budget, or if you don't live near a
rockhound with a rock shop.

Those that cut meteorites regularly find that the best
saw is the one with the thinnest blade (coupled with a
very secure vise).

Those of us who are rockhounds would tell you that a
"lapidary trim saw" would be the best way to go.

A common "lap trim saw", that could cut even very
small stones, would be a "6-inch saw". Nearly every
lapidary/rock shop has one of these. Most come with a
vice that will hold a stone very securely.

Those "6-inch trim saws" with motors that are higher
than 1700rpm can take the THINNEST 6" blade that can
be used to cut a stone meteorite. It is the 0.006"
diamond blade from Pro-Slicer.

Here is what one looks like:

<http://www.geocities.com/bolidechaser/eB/misc/proslice.jpg>

This kind of blade has what is called, a 0.009" kerf -
which means that is how wide the cut zone will be.
Which is usually less cut loss than what a typical
grind job would produce. That's why I don't bother
ginding my finds. I reduce total cut loss and I get a
better window by cutting with my diamond blade,
anyway.

I always keep a couple of spare Pro-Slicer blades, so
if you want to try one of these ultra-thin blades, AND
if you have a 6-inch saw WITH a 1/2" arbor, I could
mail one to you (for my original cost plus postage).
I paid $29.50 for each of mine.

Some saws come with a 5/8" arbor!! I only have one
spare blade left with this size hole, so double-check
your saws "arbor-size" before contacting me.

Bob V.

*********************************
  Robert Verish
  Principal Field Investigator