[meteorite-list] MetSoc Meeting & Naming of Meteorites

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:28 2004

Hi there,

I just returned from the annual Meteoritical Society
Meeting in Muenster. The MetSoc and Dr. Gary Huss had
invited all major meteorite dealers, several meteorite
hunters, and private collectors to discuss "what is and
is not working in the current system for naming meteorites
and to air ideas about how the system can be made better".
About 30 scientists, including several members of the
NomCom attended but - to my surprise and disappointment -
not even a single dealer showed up, although some of them
are usually the first to scoff when it comes to delays in
naming meteorites, problems with NWA numbers, coordinates,
repository specimens, and all the other issues related to
the work of the NomCom. Just two field prospectors, and
two private collectors attended the conference, including
myself, and it wasn't easy to represent our viewpoint
and interests in front of such a vast majority of skilled
scientists and researchers.

However, the meeting has been a great experience, and it
was good to see that most of the attending scientists are
very engaged in there work, and that they are doing a very
good job. Kudos to all these people. And to all of those
who weren't there, and didn't even mind to send in their
suggestions and ideas (I know that some of you did!), don't
blame the NomCom, or the developing system of nomenclature.
If you don't raise your voice when it's time to do so, don't
expect to be heard in the future.

All the best,
Norbert Classen