[meteorite-list] Rusting S-As/Protecting irons

From: E.L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:14:08 2004

Good Answer Dave. You don't have to live by the sea to have rusting irons.

Be it remembered, that it is the chlorine ion which is the rusting
facilitator. The most common source is via salt (NaCl) from the skin.
It acts as a catalyst by holding the slightest amount of moisture from
the atmosphere.( Under the microscope these droplets look like little
brass or bronze colored insect eggs. The Chlorine ion will NEVER
evaporate and until it is physically removed it will trap the oxygen
molecule against the iron atom and do its nasty magic--over and over and
over. "Handled unprotected once; contaminated indefinitely".

Regards,
Elton