[meteorite-list] moldavite splashforms w/ artifacts. Inquiry?

From: Paul Heinrich <lenticulina1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:11 2004

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 14:19:37 -0700,
Edward R. Hodges edwardrhodges1_at_san.rr.com

>I understand that moldavite often takes the
>impression of the surface it lands on after it's
>molten flight. I was wondering if anyone can
>direct me to an example where the moldavite and
>artifact had been collected together.
>In other words, who knows of a moldavite with
>impressions that is kept in a collection together
>with the item that made the impression. I hope
>that made sense. Anyway, I had heard about
>impressions in moldavite, but had never viewed
>the evidence myself. Thanks.-Edward

The impression that have I of the numerous specimens
of moldavites that I have seen is that the vast
majority of them are either deeply / severely
etched or rounded by fluvial tumbling that nothing
remains of their original surface morphology. As
a result, so little remains of the original surface
that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to
know whether any molding of the typical moldavite's
surface occurred upon landing. For example, the
famous Besednice moldavites are **not** created by
aerodynamic processes, but rather represent extreme
chemical weathering (corrosion) of glassy moldavites.

Yours,

Paul
Baton Rouge, LA