[meteorite-list] Protecting irons again

From: Lars Pedersen <lars.b_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:11 2004

 =0D
 HI All=0D
=0D
Thanks for the answers to my question.=0D
=0D
I think I have got the idea now.=0D
=0D
Thanks again.=0D
Lars Pedersen=0D
=0D
=0D
-------Original Message-------=0D
 =0D
From: Martin Horejsi=0D
Date: 27. april 2003 17:54:22=0D
To: Lars Pedersen; meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com=0D
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Protecting irons again=0D
 =0D
Lars kindly noted:=0D
 =0D
In the deeper "caves" it looks shiny like wax, with a brownish tone.=0D
First I thought it was a rusty spot that had been treated, but now I am n=
ot
so sure.=0D
 =0D
My point is that I want them to look "raw" and not like they have been
dipped in acryl - this goes for all my irons.=0D
 =0D
Hi Lars,=0D
 =0D
The old S-A specimens I have are a soft, pleasant brown color, but not fr=
om
rust. If talc blasting is the cause of the luster of the specimens you ha=
ve,
then the deeper caves may have preserved some of the original external
texture.=0D
 =0D
Here is an image of one of my older S-A individuals kindly hosted in the
Gallery of the Meteorite Exchange.=0D
 =0D
http://www.meteorite.com/gallery/mh_sikhote-.jpg=0D
 =0D
The lighting is a little harsh, but you can easily see the brown color as
compared to the blueish color of many more recently sold pieces. This T-R=
ex
skull shaped specimen is about 10cm in length. =0D
 =0D
Happy viewing,=0D
 =0D
Martin=0D