[meteorite-list] Protecting irons again

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:11 2004

--Boundary_(ID_SqacMtMH5jsqbJKuce30RA)

> Lars kindly noted:
>
> In the deeper "caves" it looks shiny like wax, with a brownish tone.
> First I thought it was a rusty spot that had been treated, but now I am not so
> sure.
>
> My point is that I want them to look "raw" and not like they have been dipped
> in acryl - this goes for all my irons.

Hi Lars,

The old S-A specimens I have are a soft, pleasant brown color, but not from
rust. If talc blasting is the cause of the luster of the specimens you have,
then the deeper caves may have preserved some of the original external
texture.

Here is an image of one of my older S-A individuals kindly hosted in the
Gallery of the Meteorite Exchange.

http://www.meteorite.com/gallery/mh_sikhote-.jpg

The lighting is a little harsh, but you can easily see the brown color as
compared to the blueish color of many more recently sold pieces. This T-Rex
skull shaped specimen is about 10cm in length.

Happy viewing,

Martin

--Boundary_(ID_SqacMtMH5jsqbJKuce30RA)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [meteorite-list] Protecting irons again</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE="Verdana">Lars kindly noted:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE="Arial">In the deeper &quot;caves&quot; it looks shiny like wax, with a brownish tone.<BR>
First I thought it was a rusty spot that had been treated, but now I am not so sure.<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE="Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE="Arial">My point is that I want them to look &quot;raw&quot; and not like they have been dipped in acryl - this goes for all my irons.<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE="Verdana"><BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE="Verdana">Hi Lars,<BR>
<BR>
The old S-A specimens I have are a soft, pleasant brown color, but not from rust. If talc blasting is the cause of the luster of the specimens you have, then the deeper caves may have preserved some of the original external texture.<BR>
<BR>
Here is an image of one of my older S-A individuals kindly hosted in the Gallery of the Meteorite Exchange.<BR>
<BR>
http://www.meteorite.com/gallery/mh_sikhote-.jpg<BR>
<BR>
The lighting is a little harsh, but you can easily see the brown color as compared to the blueish color of many more recently sold pieces. This T-Rex skull shaped specimen is about 10cm in length. <BR>
<BR>
Happy viewing,<BR>
<BR>
Martin<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_SqacMtMH5jsqbJKuce30RA)--