[meteorite-list] Unique Stuff?

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:10 2004

--part1_159.1e85a5ff.2bd5c2a4_boundary

 bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de writes:

> No, I don't think that an LL6 chondrite that fell in Karlsruhe (I'd prefer
> Mannheim, my home town) would mean more to me than Park Forest or Thuathe.

OK, fair enough. Vive le difference!

But I was able to obtain a meteorite specimen from PF that has paint fused to
the crust, from its impact on a home. And yes, I enthusiastically plead
guilty to the charge that I consider this piece significantly more
interesting than a piece of exactly the same composition, which was
anonymously collected in some unknown part of a vast desert (and I paid a
significantly higher price, accordingly, and was perfectly happy to do so).
For those who would really see no difference in those two specimens, why on
Earth (no pun intended) would they want to collect anything other than the
very cheapest NWA's?

       Gregory

--part1_159.1e85a5ff.2bd5c2a4_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"> bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">No, I don't think that an LL6 c=
hondrite that fell in Karlsruhe (I'd prefer<BR>
 Mannheim, my home town) would mean more to me than Park Forest or Thuathe.<=
/BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
OK, fair enough.&nbsp; <I>Vive le difference!<BR>
 <BR>
</I>But I was able to obtain a meteorite specimen from PF that has paint fus=
ed to the crust, from its impact on a home.&nbsp; And yes, I enthusiasticall=
y plead guilty to the charge that I consider this piece significantly more i=
nteresting than a piece of exactly the same composition, which was anonymous=
ly collected in some unknown part of a vast desert (and I paid a significant=
ly higher price, accordingly, and was perfectly happy to do so).&nbsp;&nbsp;=
 For those who would really see no difference in those two specimens, why on=
 Earth (no pun intended) would they want to collect <U>anything</U> other th=
an the very cheapest NWA's?<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Gregory</FONT></HTML>

--part1_159.1e85a5ff.2bd5c2a4_boundary--