[meteorite-list] K/T Boundary upte info

From: Rosemary Hackney <ltcrose_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:09 2004

Hello all...

Ok.. what I have found in addition to the other info I previously posted.

Evidence of the asteroid impact that slammed into the Yucatan Peninsula has
been named K-T boundary. Basically is a layer of coal formed at the end of
the Cretaceous period. The term K-T is taken from the Greek word for chalk
"Kreta" and the T from the Tertiary period.

The material I have is from Trochu, Alberta at the top of the Scollard
formation of the Upper Cretaceous. Among animals collected in this layer
have been Triceratops albertensis and Tyrannasaurus rex. This layer is
noted for the high concentration of Iridium.

Rosie