[meteorite-list] Pallasites and Moist Climates

From: Ryan Darby <rdarby_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:07 2004

Would this be the same type of thing as the rust inhibitor they put onto
cars, that is essentially more attractive to the moisture? Or does it
need to be in physical contact with the item/meteorite? The one in cars
makes available a supply of electrons for the moisture to take away, so
it does not remove the electrons in the car. Since the electrons are not
gone, the car won't bond with the oxygen and rust. So basically, add
electrons to your meteorite!=20
They seem to do it with a battery and a contact to the car, and transfer
electrons in.=20
Your mentioning Nantan is interesting Tom, as today I am searching ebay
for a piece, and also saw on Walter Branch's site that Nantan rusts like
crazy. I didn't know this, so am waiting a bit before I buy any!=20
My problem is that live 2 blocks from a beach, and I'm very worried,
even though I only have small pieces!=20

Cheers
Ryan