[meteorite-list] My Park Forest trip.

From: Roman <Roman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:05 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0210_01C2FD4C.52F93200

Hello all.

It was a blast and a half! Much more than I could have imagined.
My wife Lori and I drove to Park Forest Friday morning in the middle of =
an ice storm.
After 11 hours we pulled into the Country & Inn Suites in Matteson, 3 =
miles from
Park Forest. Now I appreciate my 4x4 Yukon even more. An hour later we =
went to
the Baymont Inn to meet Rob Wesel and his friend Dave. Rob had a great =
~80g
specimen of the Park Forest meteorite he bought from a local dude, =
cheep! He also
had several small fragments he found earlier to show us.

After that, the 4 of us met Steve Witt & sister, Gregory Wilson & Rob =
Elliott at the now
famous meteorite restaurant. We ate, took pictures, looked at slices, =
and shot the s....

Saturday morning we went hunting. I met meteorite hunter Dan Cooper, and =
bought
my first P.F. meteorite, a nice ~12g fresh crusted half individual. He =
had another 21g
individual he wouldn't sell. But he did get a case of calendars from me =
as part trade.
We then met Jason Phillips & wife, and Jason's brother, and hunted =
together. After 5
hours of no luck, we decided to go for a late lunch. But before we left =
we met Marvin
Killgore and Robert Haag in a parking lot. I got both of their new =
books, thanks guys -
very nice, Bob even threw in one of his "Meteorite Recovery Team" =
shirts. They just
arrived and were ready to hunt the hood. Steve Chicago was also there, =
he and Jason
did some trades.

After lunch I dropped Lori off at the hotel and went searching for a few =
more hours.
I met Dan again and got the 21g specimen by trading some cash and a =
large NWA
I brought with me. Now I was happy, but it was just beginning.

That Saturday night was like no other. We ALL met at Applebee's for =
dinner and drinks.
Bob Haag, Marvin Killgore, Rob Elliott, Al Lang, Mike Farmer, Jack & =
Devin Schrader, John Sinclair, Greg Hupe, Steve Arnold (IMB), Geoff =
Notkin, Rob Wesel & friend Dave, Steve Witt, Gregory Wilson, Tim (with =
2 little daughters), Terry Boudreaux with son and a Huge NWA with lots =
of black crust, & Lori and I. Digital cameras, cell phones and a few =
digital scales were part of the table decor, not to mention Park Forest =
specimens being past
around. And the Margaritas! Man, I think there were more than at the =
Tucson birthday bash
I went to 3 years ago. We closed the place, it was a blast! P.S. I =
picked up a nice 14.5g slice
from Steve Witt that evening, which was cut by Al Mitterling (nice job).

Sunday was my score! Lori and I went to Steger to search the streets. =
After about 1/2 an
hour I picked up my first ever meteorite find! 8.2 gram fragment. Then 1 =
minute later,
across the street, a 14.6 gram fragment with 25% black crust. This I =
could not believe.
It was a nice neighbourhood with a few friendly people out that I talked =
to. After another half
hour I met my wife and showed her my finds. I then found a 3rd one when =
we walked together, it was 5 grams on the nose. She was happy for me, =
after all it was my birthday
on April 6th. I got the GPS coordinates and street names for the record. =
These were
fragments just rotting in the street gutters. If we didn't have to drive =
back that moment,
we would have stayed to find more for sure. Oh ya, I did leave 900 more =
calendars with
Rob Wesel to give to Steve Witt that evening. Chicago has the most =
meteorite calendars
on the planet now, besides my shop, I still have a few more than that =
unfortunately.

Only 8.5 hours to get home early Monday morning. Man what a trip, I =
loved my 1st hunt!
Pics to follow on my web site in a few days.

Best regards,
Roman Jirasek
www.meteoritelabels.com

------=_NextPart_000_0210_01C2FD4C.52F93200

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hello all.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It was a blast and a half! Much more than I could =
have=20
imagined.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My wife Lori and I drove to Park Forest Friday =
morning in the=20
middle of an ice storm.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>After 11 hours we pulled into the Country &amp; Inn =
Suites in=20
Matteson, 3 miles from</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Park Forest. Now I appreciate my 4x4 Yukon even =
more. An hour=20
later we went to</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>the Baymont Inn to meet Rob Wesel and his friend =
Dave. Rob had=20
a great ~80g</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>specimen of the Park Forest meteorite he bought from =
a local=20
dude, cheep! He also</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>had several small fragments he found earlier to show =

us.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>After that, the 4 of us&nbsp;met Steve =
Witt&nbsp;&amp; sister,=20
Gregory Wilson &amp;&nbsp;Rob Elliott&nbsp;&nbsp;at the now</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>famous meteorite restaurant. We ate, took=20
pictures,&nbsp;looked at&nbsp;slices, and shot the s....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Saturday morning we went hunting. I met meteorite =
hunter Dan=20
Cooper, and bought</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>my first P.F. meteorite, a nice ~12g &nbsp;fresh =
crusted half=20
individual. He had another 21g</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>individual he wouldn't sell.&nbsp;But he&nbsp;did =
get a case=20
of calendars from me as part trade.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We then met Jason Phillips &amp; wife, and Jason's =
brother,=20
and hunted together. </FONT><FONT size=3D2>After 5</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>hours of no luck, we decided to go for a =
</FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2>late lunch. But before we left we met Marvin</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Killgore and Robert Haag in a parking lot. I got =
both of their=20
new books, thanks guys -</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>very nice,&nbsp;Bob even threw in one of his =
"Meteorite=20
Recovery Team" shirts.&nbsp;They just</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>arrived and were ready to hunt the hood. =
</FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2>Steve Chicago was also </FONT><FONT size=3D2>there, he and=20
Jason</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>did some trades.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>After lunch I dropped Lori off at the hotel and went =
searching=20
for a few more hours.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I met Dan again and got the 21g specimen by =
trading&nbsp;some=20
cash and a large NWA</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I brought with me. Now I was happy, but&nbsp;it was =
just=20
beginning.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>That Saturday night was like no other. We ALL met=20
at&nbsp;Applebee's for dinner </FONT><FONT size=3D2>and =
drinks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Bob Haag, Marvin Killgore, Rob Elliott, Al Lang, =
Mike Farmer,=20
Jack &amp; Devin&nbsp;Schrader, John Sinclair, Greg Hupe, </FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2>Steve Arnold (IMB), Geoff Notkin, Rob Wesel &amp; friend Dave, =
Steve=20
Witt,&nbsp; Gregory Wilson, Tim (with 2 little daughters), Terry <FONT=20
size=3D3>Boudreaux with son and a Huge NWA</FONT>&nbsp;with lots of =
black crust,=20
&amp; Lori&nbsp;and I.&nbsp;Digital cameras, cell phones and a few =
digital=20
scales were part of the table decor, not to mention Park Forest =
specimens being=20
past</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>around. And the Margaritas! Man, I think there were =
more than=20
at the Tucson birthday bash</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I went to 3 years ago. </FONT><FONT size=3D2>We =
closed the=20
place, it was a blast! P.S. I picked up a nice 14.5g slice</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>from Steve Witt that evening,&nbsp;which was cut by =
Al=20
Mitterling (nice job).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Sunday was my score! Lori and I went to Steger to =
search the=20
streets. After about 1/2 an</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>hour I picked up my first ever meteorite find! 8.2 =
gram=20
fragment. Then 1 minute later,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>across the street, a 14.6 gram fragment with 25% =
black crust.=20
This I could not believe.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It was a nice neighbourhood with a few friendly =
people out=20
that I talked to. After another half</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>hour I met my wife and showed her my finds. I then =
found a 3rd=20
one when we walked together, it was 5 grams on the nose. She was happy =
for me,=20
after all it was&nbsp;my birthday</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>on April 6th. I got the GPS coordinates and street =
names for=20
the record. These were</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>fragments just rotting in the street gutters. If we =
didn't=20
have to drive back that moment,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>we would have stayed&nbsp;to find more for sure. Oh =
ya, I did=20
leave 900 more calendars with</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Rob Wesel to give to Steve Witt that evening. =
Chicago has the=20
most meteorite calendars</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>on the planet now, besides my shop, I still have a =
few more=20
than that unfortunately.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Only 8.5 hours to get home early Monday morning. Man =
what a=20
trip, I loved&nbsp;my 1st&nbsp;hunt!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Pics to follow on my web site in a few =
days.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Best regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Roman Jirasek</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.meteoritelabels.com">www.meteoritelabels.com</A></FONT=
></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0210_01C2FD4C.52F93200--