[meteorite-list] Why does shock blacken meteorites?

From: E.L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:03 2004

Hello Bob,

Someone has suggested that the matrix of Park Forest is an impact melt
and that coloration is likely due to the composition of the other body.
  Occasionally the shock is so strong that some of the olivine does a
phase shift in crystal form to a spinel structure. This high pressure
form of olivine is a mineral called Ringwoodite. These veins, in thin
translucent section, tend to have a subtle purple tint. Otherwise it
looks black and opaque in cross section.

Regards,
Elton