[meteorite-list] Why does shock blacken meteorites?

From: Bob King <lakewind_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:03 2004

Hi list,
After seeing some excellent photos of Park Forest now -- thanks
especially to Matt Morgan and Adam Hupe for sharing images of their
slices -- I'm struck by how black the shocked part of that meteorite is.
You can even see the transition from unshocked to shocked in a
boundary zone of breccia. I've also seen this dark shocking in other
chondrites. Can someone explain what happens physically or
chemically inside a meteorite to turn a light matrix black during the
shock (impact) event?
Thank you for your help.
Bob