[meteorite-list] Portales Valley and Park Forest

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:02 2004

--part1_65.df9f50c.2bbdfbff_boundary

Matteo:

> if someone ruin the
> prices of market

I can't speak for anyone else, Matteo, but THIS phrase clearly identifies
perhaps the major difference between your view of the meteorite market (or
any market for that matter) and mine, which I'd guess is also shared by many
on this list.

The fact that you assume that that a seller (or several) even has the
capability of "ruining the prices" of a meteorite, suggests that you think
that market prices are mostly controlled by the seller. I think that prices
are mostly controlled by the buyer. I think sellers must craft their prices
around what buyers are willing to pay, not the other way around. Sellers can
have some relatively modest amount of influence over the "supply" part of the
equation, but have no similar control over "demand," and that's what largely
determines prices, in my view.

In the case of the Chicago fall, material has fallen in the middle of one the
USA's largest cities, there has been a huge media buzz, the Museums are
involved, the police are involved, the press is involved, the scientists are
involved, there's a feeding frenzy there; surely no one could expect the same
reaction from the American public about meteorite news in Lesotho. Or even
Portales for that matter. If there was a fall tomorrow, on the grounds of
the Foro Romano, don't you think that would produce a much higher
street-price (demand!) than a similar chondrite that might fall in the
farmland of Emiglia Romagna on the same day? And yes, that price will go
down as time passes and the hype dissipates. Matteo, I think you are
inexplicably locked into some expectation that all meteorites/classifications
must be established at some specific price-level, and then should never ever
vary from that, and if they do, there must be some mysterious or sinister
force at work. One would think that you would change that expectation after
being in the collectibles market for any length of time. That's why they
call it a MARKET.

One more question....Matteo, do you sell every single L4 at exactly the same
price? Do you sell every shergottite at the same price? Zagami and
Shergotty....same price for 2 grams? If not, why not?

       Gregory

--part1_65.df9f50c.2bbdfbff_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"> <BR>
Matteo:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">if someone ruin the<BR>
prices of market</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
I can't speak for anyone else, Matteo, but THIS phrase clearly identifies pe=
rhaps the major difference between your view of the meteorite market (or <U>=
any</U> market for that matter) and mine, which I'd guess is also shared by=20=
many on this list.<BR>
 <BR>
The fact that you assume that that a seller (or several) even has the <I>cap=
ability</I> of "ruining the prices" of a meteorite, suggests that you think=20=
that market prices are mostly controlled by the seller.&nbsp; I think that p=
rices are mostly controlled by the buyer.&nbsp; I think sellers must craft t=
heir prices around what buyers are willing to pay, not the other way around.=
&nbsp; Sellers can have some relatively modest amount of influence over the=20=
"supply" part of the equation, but have no similar control over "demand," an=
d that's what largely determines prices, in my view.<BR>
<BR>
In the case of the Chicago fall, material has fallen in the middle of one th=
e USA's largest cities, there has been a huge media buzz, the Museums are in=
volved, the police are involved, the press is involved, the scientists are i=
nvolved, there's a feeding frenzy there; surely no one could expect the same=
 reaction from the American public about meteorite news in Lesotho.&nbsp;&nb=
sp; Or even Portales for that matter.&nbsp; If there was a fall tomorrow, on=
 the grounds of the Foro Romano, don't you think that would produce a much h=
igher street-price (demand!) than a similar chondrite that might fall in the=
 farmland of Emiglia Romagna on the same day?&nbsp;&nbsp; And yes, that pric=
e will go down as time passes and the hype dissipates.&nbsp;&nbsp; Matteo, I=
 think you are inexplicably locked into some expectation that all meteorites=
/classifications <U>must</U> be established at some specific price-level, an=
d then should never ever vary from that, and if they do, there must be some=20=
mysterious or sinister force at work.&nbsp; One would think that you would c=
hange that expectation after being in the collectibles market for any length=
 of time.&nbsp; That's why they call it a MARKET. <BR>
<BR>
One more question....Matteo, do you sell every single L4 at exactly the same=
 price?&nbsp; Do you sell every shergottite at the same price?&nbsp; Zagami=20=
and Shergotty....same price for 2 grams?&nbsp; If not, why not?<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Gregory</FONT></HTML>

--part1_65.df9f50c.2bbdfbff_boundary--