[meteorite-list] shingle-ites

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:01 2004

Dear Adam, List;
I am ready to get the ladder out and climb up on my roof...soon as it
quits snowing out, and the wind drops below 40.

 I don't know the composition of the shingle material there in South
Chicago-land but knowing that Gary, Indiana is one of the most air
polluted skies that I have ever seen, that any amount of industrial
effluent fall out may have been in the air and have fallen to the earth
with in a 50 mile radius. Odds are that there is a bunch of man made
stuff on the roofs that is not meteorite related. Any one have a roofer
friend that can look at the pictures of the micro tektites? With
O'hare, the most busiest air port in the world located close by, watch
out for those brown sap-like deposits on the roofs too. Any of the
neighbors burn coal or wood for heat? Any incinerator with in a mile or
two could produce fall out that has been melted too.

Odds are my rain gutters have blow sand and bird poop. It would be
interesting to have a rain gutter thread and see what we find. Probably
some surprises. I monitor the particulate matter in the air here in SW
Wyoming and it is amazing how far different micron sized particles will
move in connection with weather fronts....wind and moisture (and lack of
moisture) have enormous effects.
Dave F.