[meteorite-list] MUSES-C Update - January 15, 2003

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:01 2004

http://www.isas.ac.jp/e/new/release/2003/02_01.html

MUSES-C Monthly Report No.2
ISAS
January 15, 2003

Experiencing Outer Space in Thermal Vacuum Test

The thermal vacuum test of MUSES-C started in
mid-January 2003. This test took place following the
mechanical environment test, dummy propellant
evacuation/drying and functional re-verification in
December 2002.

The test is conducted by simulating not only the
environment in the cruising phase but also in the descent
to the asteroid and landing phase. In fact, the severest
thermal environment occurs during the landing phase
where the explorer's lower surface will be exposed to
temperatures of 100 deg C or higher. The test will confirm
that our thermal design for MUSES-C, based on analysis
of the thermal mathematical model, is correct.

After that, a unique test is planned. We will operate the
ion engine in the chamber under actual configuration conditions,
i.e., as installed on the explorer. This must be an
unprecedented firing test in the world. The test will allow
us to verify ion engine performance under flying conditions.

A series of tests using the chamber will be completed in
mid-February. When the function check after the thermal
vacuum test, sensor alignment, and measurement of inertia
data are finished, MUSES-C will be transported to
Kagoshima.

For the young team members, the entire process from test
through spacecraft launch provides valuable experience, and
naturally they are excited and aggressive. Meanwhile, in
contrast, it is impressive that the veteran members before
retirement are trying to be steady in their roles. I hope
that the young members learn from their seniors, who have much
experience in surmounting a number of difficulties. MUSES-C
is a cutting-edge explorer incorporating autonomous
capability and an advanced engine. It can be said that the
explorer is also in transition to a new generation.