[meteorite-list] Meteorite "fall" Vs. "Shower"

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:09:59 2004

Hi, Michael, Everybody,

    You're probably right that the answer is "no."

    However, about that terminology. When a rock is in space,
it's a meteroid. When a meteoroid gets involved with a planet and
its atmosphere, it's a meteor. When a meteor survives to reach
the planetary surface or something on the planetary surface, it's
gets promoted to meteorite.
    We call the comet-associated swarms of meteoroids that sweep
the earth at regular orbital intervals meteor showers in advance
of the event because we have no expectation that any of them will
ever make it to the ground.
    But they are called showers because of their close
association in time and space. (That's close in celestial terms;
a meteor at the beginning of a shower may be millions of miles
and hours away from one at the end of a shower.)
    Presumably, rocks and dust that are not going to contact the
earth are meteoroid showers, except it sounds more professional
if you call them meteoroid streams. (Then there's always the old
science fiction standby: the "meteor swarm"! Good to avoid that
one.)
    It seems obvious to me that a rain of rocks from the sky is a
"meteorite shower." However, you could argue that even the
1,000's of fragments of something like Holbrook started out as
one lousy rock and one rock does not a shower make. Of course,
they're not meteorites until they reach the ground, so by the
time they become meteorites, there are 1,000's! One meteor (not a
shower) becomes a meteorite shower.
    However, since the term "shower" obscures a fundamental fact
about meteoritic break-up in the atmosphere, I bet it's not a
term naybody likes.
    But I'll bet if you were standing under one, like Winslow
Street in Park Forest at 12:30 a.m., 03-27-03, "shower" would
seem a completely under-dramatic term. "Barrage" might have
suited it better!

Sterling K. Webb