[meteorite-list] Meteorite Contest #7

From: J. Fox <jfox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:30 2004

Hello all,

This is my first posting to the list, and I want to commend all (almost)
of you on the good natured exchanges I have been reading. The majority
are very professional in their demeanor, and replies to beginners are
not only educational, but are done in manner befitting all good
teachers,
which you have become by virtue of your accumulated knowledge.

I have a cute story to relate:

At my workplace, most of my co-workers know that I have been putting
together a set of study specimens for my oldest daughter (14 years old,
and starting college next Fall.) She hopes to be on the first Mars
expedition, and will be working on a degree in Planetary Geology.

I brought to work something I had found while searching a dry lake bed
a few miles from home. By all appearances, it was basically rounded,
and seemed to have a beautiful black fusion crust. It was about 1.5cm
in diameter, and when I found it I could see it from more than 100m
away on the lake bed.

I explained to my co-worker that there were many different types of
meteorites. Some of them were called Aubrites, or Eucrites, or
common chondrites, and even Carbonacious Chondrites, which might look
something like this. I held it out to him in my hand, so he could get
a better look at it. Then I layed it down on his desk, and invited
him to take out his high powered magnifier, so he could admire the
smooth flow lines. He was quite impressed! I then told him that this
was probably the rarest specimen that I could have found on the lake
bed. I told him it was a rare corprolite!

(I plan on taking some photos of this "meteorwrong," as its the best
looking "specimen" of this sort I have ever seen!)

Best regards,

Jon Fox