[meteorite-list] Barringer (Meteor) Crater Spheroids

From: Matt Morgan <mmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:29 2004

Hi Keith and MB:
In addition, Nininger's other "great" book, "Out of the Sky" explores the
spheroids in some detail on pg 241-242. Here is the results of Niningers
analyses:
Fe 53.88%
Ni 9.06%
Co 0.95%
P 0.56%
S 0.96%
CaO 1.10%
Insoluble residue 16.10%
Calculated Oxygen 7.96%
H2O 7.00%

Check these more recent references as well..
<http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc98/pdf/5276.pdf>
<http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2000/pdf/sess27.pdf>
<http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news031.html>
<http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news032.html>
<http://www.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/etext/45/text/SciCanDiab.pdf>
<http://www.internal.eawag.ch/~masarik/clanky/candiablo.pdf>\

I believe similar spheroids have been found at Monturaqui and Odessa.

Matt Morgan
http://www.mhmeteorites.com