[meteorite-list] Tektite QUESTION

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:28 2004

Hello Michael,

Potassium-argon dating done on tektites from China, Thialand, Laos and the
Phillippines all date about the same as Australites suggesting a single
origin, 700,000 years. However, there is evidence suggesting that
Australites have a youger age and are from a different meteorite impact.
Austalites are found in South Austalia in soil layers about 20,000 years
old, while in the Victoria in layers about 12,000 years old and sometimes in
sediments as low as 5,000 years old. There is also a discrepancy in
radiomatric and stratigraphic test ages. Another convincing fact is that
Austalites are better preserved then the other known tektites.

Mark