[meteorite-list] Stopping Rust & Preserving Iron Meteorites - THIS WORKS!

From: Jeff Kuyken <jeff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:27 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C25F52.BF356620

G'day List,=20
A couple of months ago I wrote to the list asking for help to stop my =
Chinga slice rusting. There have been a few posts since then asking =
similar questions so I thought I would share this with everyone. Before =
I continue, I really need to mention that the problematic 111g slice of =
Chinga arrived to me rusting in a way that would have put any Nantan to =
shame! John Gwilliam replied to my post with a great process that I have =
tried and has worked extremely well. Thanks John. It has been several =
weeks now and not even the slightest hint of rust has reoccurred. I have =
included the post below.

Thanks,

Jeff Kuyken
I.M.C.A. #3085
www.meteoritesaustralia.com

"Hello Jeff and List,

According to Ivan Koutyrev, all the Chinga irons they have found have =
been=20
recovered in stream beds. This means that the irons have been in almost =

constant contact with water for a long time. Over hundreds of years, =
rust=20
has been able to migrate into the interior where it can be a chronic=20
problem if not treated properly.

After the meteorite has been sliced, I sand down the flat surfaces =
starting=20
with a 100 grit or even a fresh 220 grit sanding belt (on a water cooled =

lapidary sander). Successively finer grits are used until I'm down to a =

worn 600 grit belt. Remember to wash the iron slice and rinse in =
anhydrous=20
alcohol in between every grit change so you don't have a stray piece of=20
larger grit mess up your polished surface. After the worn 600 grit=20
polish, I treat the specimen for 5 - 10 days in the alcohol/ sodium=20
hydroxide bath recommended by Steve Schoner. This will attack the rust =
in=20
the specimen and the sodium in the mix bonds with the chlorides in the =
rust=20
and becomes common salt. Believe me, this solution really works. I =
have=20
several slices of OLD Campos sitting unprotected out in my shop that =
were=20
treated over 18 months ago and none of them show a hint of rust. For =
those=20
of you interested in this process, I think you can find it on Eric=20
Twelker's website.

After soaking in the bath, I rinse the specimen thoroughly in FRESH=20
anhydrous alcohol and wipe it dry.

Next, I polish the slice with a muslin buff on a jewelers spindle. My=20
polishing unit has dual 6" x 1" stitched cloth buffing wheels that you =
can=20
mount on any motor with an arbor or spindle. My machine turns at 3,250=20
RPMs but a slower motor in the 1,720 RPM range will work as well. The =
key=20
to the final polish is the compound applied to the moving buff. I use a =

product manufactured for the jewelry industry called ZAM. I believe it =

contains chromium oxide as the polishing agent. It is a light green =
hard=20
stick in a cardboard wrapper and is available from jewelry supply =
outfits=20
and some lapidary shops. Several minutes of polishing will produce that =

mirror like polish you are looking for."

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C25F52.BF356620

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana><SPAN lang=3DEN-US style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana">G&#8217;day=20
List,</SPAN><SPAN lang=3DEN-US style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana">&nbsp;<?xml:namespace=20
prefix =3D o ns =3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
/><o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN lang=3DEN-US style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">A =
couple of=20
months&nbsp;ago I wrote to the list asking for help to stop my Chinga =
slice=20
rusting. There have been a few posts since then asking similar questions =
so I=20
thought I would share this with everyone. Before I continue, I =
really&nbsp;need=20
to&nbsp;mention that the problematic&nbsp;111g slice of Chinga arrived =
to me=20
rusting in a way that would have put any Nantan to shame! John Gwilliam =
replied=20
to my post with a great process that I have tried and has worked =
extremely well.=20
Thanks John. It has been several weeks now and not even the slightest =
hint of=20
rust has reoccurred.</SPAN> I have included the post below.</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks,</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>Jeff Kuyken<BR>I.M.C.A. #3085<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.meteoritesaustralia.com">www.meteoritesaustralia.com</=
A></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN lang=3DEN-US style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana"><EM>"Hello Jeff=20
and List,<BR><BR>According to Ivan Koutyrev, all the Chinga irons they =
have=20
found have been <BR>recovered in stream beds.&nbsp; This means that the =
irons=20
have been in almost <BR>constant contact with water for a long =
time.&nbsp; Over=20
hundreds of years, rust <BR>has been able to migrate into the interior =
where it=20
can be a chronic <BR>problem if not treated properly.<BR><BR>After the =
meteorite=20
has been sliced, I sand down the flat surfaces starting <BR>with a 100 =
grit or=20
even a fresh 220 grit sanding belt (on a water cooled <BR>lapidary=20
sander).&nbsp; Successively finer grits are used until I'm down to a =
<BR>worn=20
600 grit belt.&nbsp; Remember to wash the iron slice and rinse in =
anhydrous=20
<BR>alcohol in between every grit change so you don't have a stray piece =
of=20
<BR>larger grit mess up your polished surface.&nbsp; After the worn 600 =
grit=20
<BR>polish,&nbsp; I treat the specimen for 5 - 10 days in the alcohol/ =
sodium=20
<BR>hydroxide bath recommended by Steve Schoner.&nbsp; This will attack =
the rust=20
in <BR>the specimen and the sodium in the mix bonds with the chlorides =
in the=20
rust <BR>and becomes common salt.&nbsp; Believe me, this solution really =

works.&nbsp; I have <BR>several slices of OLD Campos sitting unprotected =
out in=20
my shop that were <BR>treated over 18 months ago and none of them show a =
hint of=20
rust.&nbsp; For those <BR>of you interested in this process,&nbsp; I =
think you=20
can find it on Eric <BR>Twelker's website.<BR><BR>After soaking in the =
bath, I=20
rinse the specimen thoroughly in FRESH <BR>anhydrous alcohol and wipe it =

dry.<BR><BR>Next,&nbsp; I polish the slice with a muslin buff on a =
jewelers=20
spindle.&nbsp; My <BR>polishing unit has dual&nbsp; 6" x 1" stitched =
cloth=20
buffing wheels that you can <BR>mount on any motor with an arbor or=20
spindle.&nbsp; My machine turns at 3,250 <BR>RPMs but a slower motor in =
the=20
1,720 RPM range will work as well.&nbsp; The key <BR>to the final polish =
is the=20
compound applied to the moving buff.&nbsp; I use a <BR>product =
manufactured for=20
the jewelry&nbsp; industry called ZAM.&nbsp; I believe it <BR>contains =
chromium=20
oxide as the polishing agent.&nbsp; It is a light green hard <BR>stick =
in a=20
cardboard wrapper and is available from jewelry supply outfits <BR>and =
some=20
lapidary shops.&nbsp; Several minutes of polishing will produce that =
<BR>mirror=20
like polish you are looking =
for."</EM></SPAN></P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C25F52.BF356620--