[meteorite-list] Asteroid Impacting Earth

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:24 2004

> Hello everyoneˇˇˇˇˇ, I heard a rummor here in Mexico: One of my friends told
> me that he saw on the Newspapers that an asteroid is approaching to the
> Earth, and that scientist dont know if its going to miss Earth or its going
> to hit us, sometime in the next 20 years or something like that. He wanted
> to know more information, but I dont know anything about this, does someone
> know something or its just a rummor?

Well, in the next 100 years, there currently 39 asteroids that have a chance
of impacting the Earth. Not to worry though, as they are all very
low probability events, typically with odds in the range of 1 in a million or more.
We keep tabs of all of the objects here on our Risk page:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/

The page is updated very frequently as we receive new observations, and
objects are added and/or removed from this list.

Ron Baalke