[meteorite-list] Bessey comment

From: John Divelbiss <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:21 2004

Bernd, Dave and list,

I concur with the comments to date. But I thought it really wasn't meteorite
until the "council" says it is? For now it is just a rock, right.

My gut tells me that science as a whole is missing the boat with the
NWA's...someday the negative positions taken during these times over the
lack information like location, particulars of find, etc. will be a mistake
that can't be fixed. I know this subject has had a lot of press, but from a
simpletons point of view the treatment of the most NWA's not being
legitimate is wrong. I have no clue as to the fix(es) for the problems
perceived, but to "putoff or shun" the likes of Dean and others to get
classifications done in a timely matter is a mistake. Some dealers have
direct connections that make this less of a problem...but they are in the
minority I would think. A concerted effort to improve all aspects of this
problem, including the availability of labs capable of doing such work
should be done before we lose the bulk of potential information on these
great rocks. It is late in the game, but not too late I would hope. There
are many great pieces out here that are orphaned at this point...with owners
wanting to know what it is.

Protesting not to buy or acknowledge this so called junk only reinforces
this stubborn position. Those doing so are adding to the thick crust of the
objectors...limiting science instead of improving it.

>From the sounds of it, fixing the problems (some real, some perceived due to
association) in Morocco are probably the hardest to resolve...and they may
never be. But once the rocks are in hand, why can't the community come to
grips with helping all of us with the classification process.

This is my two cents. I am newbie to all this, collecting only for three
years. I'm sure many smart people out there have more insight. But when you
break it down in my mind, the general treatment of NWA's (and other African
meteorites) is WRONG!

I read an article written in May by fellow list member Norbert Classen that
discusses this issue from another field collectors point of view. I totally
agree and hope others will come forward to help this situation out. The link
is http://www.meteorite.fr/en/news/feature.htm

Thanx for your time and forgive me if you are offended,

John Divelbiss (BL #33)
IMCA2006

PS If no one responds, that's OK with me...it has happened before.
PSS Dean, keep trying for all of us.