Fwd: [meteorite-list] US and Mexican Strewnfields

From: SSachs9056_at_aol.com <SSachs9056_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:19 2004

--part1_a8.10fdd260.2aa410de_boundary

Norbert and list,

Norbert writes:

"...but just finding something for the camera."

It sounds pretty interesting, but I have to admit, the television crew may
have some serious "down time" between meteorite "finds". Is there going to be
some other filler in-between the shots of people walking? If you have ever
seen an outdoor fishing or hunting show, you know that between the action
scenes, there can be some real lags (sometimes for hours on end), where the
fish don't bite, and the hunting dogs don't howl. Well....meteorites don't
fight the line, jump out the water, or turn on you with menacing eyes when
the first shot fails to bring em down. Meteorites uh, just kind of lay
there...benign. (yawn)

I have hunted on dry lake beds, walking, using mountain bikes. Without a
"strike", My fellow parties and I have gone, gone a few days without even a
nibble (sorry, couldn't resist). About the only adventures I've read about
meteorite hunting that seems a bit adventuresome, is out of Haag's catalog.
Even then the stories weren't long.

The list is right, there really is no need for your friend to travel the ends
of the earth, if all the film crew / producer wants to do is show people
meteorite hunting. Salting the field with cheap NWA's kind of takes fun out
of the search----if reality is what they are going for. But then again what
we see, isn't necessarily always the truth. I had a wise old sociology
professor tell me: "If you watch the network news, and the camera is trained
on the reporter out in the field, don't watch the reporter, watch what goes
on in the background, it can tell a different story."

But I digress.

Tell you friend good luck on his endeavor. I, for one would be interested to
see how it comes out. And tell him to come here, there are still miles and
miles of unsearched dry lake beds----and plenty of free parking. :-)

Best,

Steven L. Sachs IMCA #9210 My meteorite hunting site is:

http://www.geocities.com/gangwise/meteorite hunting.html

--part1_a8.10fdd260.2aa410de_boundary