[meteorite-list] NWA 482 questions

From: fcressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:06 2004

Hello all,

Rob asked:

>So, we're all left wondering: who REALLY owns (or perhaps by now
>"owned") the main mass of NWA 482? Just so we're clear, there are no
>accusations here, only questions. Anyone reading the Meteoritical
>Bulletins should be just as perplexed as I. --Rob

The website set up by the Hupes, www.lunarrock.com, covers this. The main
mass is 312 grams, is owned by the Hupes, and I believe it is still on
display at the University of Washington in Seattle.

Hope this helps.

Incidently, several photos of the meteorite prior to cutting are displayed
on the above mentioned website. A small window maybe the size of a dime is
present. Certainly 250 grams was not lost. I suspect the 1278 gram figure
Mark alluded to came from the sellers antique postal scale. Guess there are
sellers weights and buyers weights. Either that or the broken scale Mark
salvaged from the trash last year in Tucson was used ;-)

Regards,
Frank