[meteorite-list] Meteorite's Location Found In Siberia

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:04 2004

Bernd and List,
Metal detectors can work effectively through snow... if it isn't too
deep. One of our list members, Ivan Koutyrev, and his partner, Vladimir,
have successfully used a metal detector in their search for the Brahin
pallasite. In fact, Ivan told me they actually prefer hunting over snow
when using one of their specialized machines.

First of all, fresh snow on the ground allows a hunter to easily see what
area he has covered and what he hasn't. Secondly, all the pesky flies and
mosquitoes that are present in tremendous hoards during the Summer and
early Fall are gone. Finally, and most important, the snow actually makes
using their particular machine easier.

The type of metal detector used by Ivan and Vladimir is not your standard
"hand-held" unit you might see being used on other meteorite hunts. They
use a professional model manufactured by Lowrance that has a 4 foot square
coil and is quite heavy and cumbersome. Rather than lug this huge coil
around on a wand as with traditional metal detectors, the coil is mounted
on an all plastic sled and pulled through the snow.

If Ivan is currently monitoring the list, perhaps he can elaborate on the
idea of hunting in snow.

Best,

John Gwilliam