[meteorite-list] Meteorite's Location Found In Siberia

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:04 2004

Ron Baalke wrote::

> According to Sergey Yazev, director of the Irkutsk State University's
> observatory, who returned last Sunday from an expedition, trees broken
> or chopped by the meteorite's fragments were found 37 km from the Mama
> settlement. No fragments of the sky body which exploded in the atmosphere
> have been found, as the area in the forest is covered with deep snow now.

Hello Ron and List, especially those experts using metal detectors,

This may be a dumb question but I have nil experience with metal
detectors. Wouldn't it be possible to detect meteoritic debris with
the help of high-precision metal detectors even if it is covered by
several inches of snow?

Best regards,

Bernd