[meteorite-list] How To Collect Meteorites

From: Rafael B. Torres <spacecollection2001_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:03 2004

Hello list, as you all know Im a small collector, and I think this is a nice
way to start a collection, after all you start by something, and in 1 year
and a half Ive collected 32 meteorites total. The way I do it is at first I
just bought small specimens, as much as my small budget allows (Im a
student, and I dont work). The first meteorite I had were Canyon Diablo
Individual, Allende cut slab and a complete individual Gao. After that I got
a baby Henbury, small Tatahouine, small Imilac, Shrapnel Sikhote-Alin (Im
still looking for a nice thumbprinted one, affordable) and Hammami slice
(very very nice though).

For a while I stopped buying meteorites, cuz stranger specimens were very
expensive, but an opportunity came and I bought a small slice of a martian
shergotitte (Dar al gani 476), also I got a Smara eucrite, Korra Korrabes,
Ghubara and Kem Kem. Akso I got a nice etched Gibeon (1o grs) and a slice of
a very nice Brahin.

Again I was chained of buying very small specimens, but suddenly the NWA
rush came and it was a unique opportunity for me for buying complete desert
individuals at low prices. So I got 3 unclassified (200, 55 and 45 grs),
along with that Dean gave 2 NWA 869. The last specimens I got there were all
Dar Al Gani series, which I liked a lot, because they are all classified and
cut slabs, but all of them have crust along the edges, so now I can hold in
my hand complete individuals, but also I have slices to show the interior of
them. I like a lot those NWA, in one part cuz they are cheap and they allow
me to keep on buying meteorites, after all meteorites are meteorites, they
were in space no matter whats the name or type. And when I hold a meteorite
in my hand, I just wonder where does it come from?, What has it seen?,
everything, its just awesome to wonder aabout them.

What Im going to do next is that Im going to buy again some NWA meteorites,
but cut them in two, so I can see the interiors of a complete individuals.
After that Im going to change my way of collecting, i wont buy a lot more
NWAs, what Im going to do is to fill up now my collection of all classes.
First Im going to fill the Hs, Ls and LLs meteorites, that is getting all
kinds of those meteorites, including transitional classes. I think Im
missing and H4, H6 (some transitionals), L3, L4 and LL3, LL4, LL6. So im
going to save money for filling the Ordinary Chondrites. And ina future I
will add stranger specimens to fill all classes. That way I can have big
ones and smaller representative specimens of all classes. Hows that, thats
the way I think I will do it, ocassionally buying some NWA.

Ok, hope this is useful for the collecting siteĦĦĦĦĦĦĦSee you later I have a
class to attend, BYEĦĦĦ Any doubts just mail me

            =0)
Rafael B. Torres
Space Collection 2001
http://www.geocities.com/rafael_blando