AW: [meteorite-list] Tafassasset classification

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:55 2004

Hi Frank, John, and List,

While discussing Tafassasset, Dr. Otto explained to me in much
detail the fundamental difference between chondrites and
achondrites - something that is quite obvious in viewing various
thin sections. First, achondrites - including primitive achondrites
- exhibit much larger crystals than any chondrite due to igneous
melting and recrystalization processes. The matrix of a type 6 or
type 7 chondrite is very fine grained compaired to primitive
achondrites. True chondritic matter has never been melted by
igneous processes, and it looks vastly different from achondritic
matter through the microscope.

Tafassasset is a very good example - it shows a coarse-grained
crytalline matrix that exhibitis all features of a total igneous
recrystalization of it's chondritic precursor - one of these
features are the triple-junctions of the olivine, usually found
in brachinites. Dr. Otto showed me various thin sections of
chondrites, including CR's, and there is nothing even remotely
resembling this coarse grained, recrystalized texture. However,
it is very similar to Divnoe, Zag (b), and the brachinites.

To put it short: the crystal size and texture of a primitive
achondrite are very different from type 7 chondrites - even
I could see this without much guideance. However, the elemental
compositions and REE patterns of primitive achondritic matter
remain more or less chondritic - and hence these meteorites have
been defined as primitive achondrites. But since they have been
completely recrystalized it's impossible to say that they have
been an CR, CO, or CV etc. before recrystallization. You can't
take some similarities, such as the O-isotopic composition and
the approximate amount of metal, to justify such a wild guess.
With the same logic you could guess that the aubrites might be
lunar or terrestrial meteorites.

Now, what to make of the "relict chondrules" in Tafassasset -
and what about relict chondrules in general? Dr. Otto explained
to me that relict chondrules have escaped the process of
recrystalization and remained more or less intact in a few
primitive achondrites, such as NWA 725 (Tissemoumine), and
Monument Draw, both acapulcoites. The structures in Tafassasset,
however, look much more like something Dr. Otto calls
"Sammelkristalle" - I don't find the proper translation, sorry -
something like agglomerates of crystals that usually form during
melting and recrystalization processes; Dr. Otto even showed me
similar agglomerates in thin sections of terrestrial igneous rocks.

Well, does that mean that these structures can't be interpreted
as relict chondrules? Yes and no. Dr. Otto said that he has
seen these structures, too, but there's one fundamental fact that
makes him doubt that they could be relict chondrules. Most of these
structures are primarily composed of plagioclase poikilitically
enclosing minor olivines and pyroxenes, often accompanied by
nickel-iron metal. The predominance of plagioclase in these
agglomerates is strange since chondrules usually aren't composed of
plagioclase. There would be just one possibility - glas-rich
or glas chondrules that have been transformed into plagioclase
during the melt process. But, according to Dr. Otto, this is
rather improbable and nothing more than a wild guess. It's
much more probable that these structures are indeed "Sammel-
kristalle", and no relict chondrules. Anyway, even if it should
be relict chondrules in the end, Tafassasset should be regarded
per definition as a quite typical primitive achondrite because
of its completely recrystalized, coarse-grained texture.

Now, I hope this helps to explain Dr. Otto's point of view, and
the difference between type 7 chondrites and primitive achondrites.
To me, all of this sounded more than convincing. I just hope
that I've been able to present his view coherently in my poor
English. And sorry for this lengthy email...

Best regards,
Norbert