[meteorite-list] Tafassasset classification

From: fcressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:54 2004

Hi John and all,

I believe that, in general, primative achondrites are no longer chondrites
in that the rock has rxperienced melting and chondrules are no longer
present. The rock has recrystallized and it has a crystalline texture.
However, compositionally they remain the same as the parent chondrite
material. So texturally they are achondrites, compositionally they are
chondrites. If I remember correctly from my acapulcoite samples, a lot of
metal is present between the crystals. In a regular differented achondrite,
the metal has separated out as has other material and the resultant
composition of the rock is significanrtly different from the parent body.
As for the difference between a petrographic grade 7 and a primative
achondrite, I agree that this line is fuzzy. Grade 7 chondrites should still
have relict chondrules present. However, I believe that at least one
acapulcoite (NWA725) also contains relict chondrules.
This is my understanding of the subject. Hope it helps a bit but feel free
to correct me if I'm not understanding this correctly.
Regards,
Frank