[meteorite-list] Feldspar minerals in the inclusions in earthly/lunar bas...

From: LITIG8NSHARK_at_aol.com <LITIG8NSHARK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:14 2004

--part1_66.29d38a5a.2afdda42_boundary

Good evening Folks,

I must say that I am grateful that I am not paying for the current lesson in
meteoritics. I couldn't afford it. Education like this is invaluable. Thank
you very much Mark for your expertise.

Best Regards to all of you,

Paul

In a message dated 11/8/2002 10:08:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mafer_at_domafer.com writes:

> Minerals, regardless of where they are from, earth, moon or mars, are still
> those minerals and as such have properties that will identify them as such.
> I guess what I'm saying is that the elements of which the minerals are made
> of are the same, no matter if from here or there, and so, the minerals which
> are made of them will be made according to the same rules. Some form only
> under high presure and temperature, others form onder other conditions of
> temperature and pressure. And! some can only form in the presence of water.
> So, from these knowns, researchers know that, from extensive evaluation of
> earths lava fields and the plutonic outcroppings ( a pluton is magmatic
> material which has never been extruded on the surface and is exposed after
> millenia of weathering and erosion), the stoney irons cannot be from earth
> for we see no occurances of olivine and metal together "on" earth.
> Therefore, knowing how they formed individually (temps and pressures) they
> summise that these meteorites come from a core mantle boundry. Something we
> have not any first hand proof of. Inclusions, on the other hand, of
> feldspars, are quite common in cooled magmas and the resulting stone is
> called a porphory if the inclusions are large enough to be seen and are
> relatively well formed. Other tests, such as fizzing in hcl only provides a
> indication that a basic mineral (carbonate or such) is present. The fact
> that you, if I'm understanding right, are seeing what appears to be
> feldspars, most likely points to a magmatic origin. vesicle size is not a
> determinate of being magmatic or not, andesites can often have extemely
> small vesicles. And, if I'm not wrong, I believe in Sweden is quite a bit of
> plutonic rock, so its probable to be able to find lavas since plutons are
> but cooled magma chambers.
> Hope this helps, long winded as it is.

--part1_66.29d38a5a.2afdda42_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE=3>Good evening Folks,
<BR>
<BR>I must say that I am grateful that I am not paying for the current lesson in meteoritics. I couldn't afford it. &nbsp;Education like this is invaluable. &nbsp;Thank you very much Mark for your expertise.
<BR>
<BR>Best Regards to all of you,
<BR>
<BR>Paul