[meteorite-list] Feldspar minerals in the inclusions in earthly/lunar basalts

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:14 2004

--------------- Original Message ---------------
[meteorite-list] Feldspar minerals in the inclusions
in earthly/lunar basalts
Bjørn Sørheim bsoerhei_at_online.no
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 17:22:40 +0100 (MET)

Hello list,

++++SNIP!!++++

But the question I have is concerning the feldspar
inclusions.
I wonder what span in %-values there is of Albite(Na)
vs. Anorthite(Ca) in the plagioclase of these
inclusions in the lunar basalts compared to earthly
basalts?
On the practical side (testing) - would a lunar
basaltic feldspar inclusion fizzle in (cold)
hydrocloric acid (HCl)?
Would a (Vesta) eucrite inclusion have the same values
as its lunar counterpart?

Regards,
Bjørn Sørheim

Good Questions Bjørn,

Regarding your basalt's Ca-rich plagioclase
phenocrysts
--
I just had a specimen turned-down for formal analysis,
because it failed the very same acid test that you