[meteorite-list] Feldspar minerals in the inclusions in earthly/lunar basalts

From: mafer_at_domafer.com <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:14 2004

Hi Bjorn

Minerals, regardless of where they are from, earth, moon or mars, are still
those minerals and as such have properties that will identify them as such.
I guess what I'm saying is that the elements of which the minerals are made
of are the same, no matter if from here or there, and so, the minerals which
are made of them will be made according to the same rules. Some form only
under high presure and temperature, others form onder other conditions of
temperature and pressure. And! some can only form in the presence of water.
So, from these knowns, researchers know that, from extensive evaluation of
earths lava fields and the plutonic outcroppings ( a pluton is magmatic
material which has never been extruded on the surface and is exposed after
millenia of weathering and erosion), the stoney irons cannot be from earth
for we see no occurances of olivine and metal together "on" earth.
Therefore, knowing how they formed individually (temps and pressures) they
summise that these meteorites come from a core mantle boundry. Something we
have not any first hand proof of. Inclusions, on the other hand, of
feldspars, are quite common in cooled magmas and the resulting stone is
called a porphory if the inclusions are large enough to be seen and are
relatively well formed. Other tests, such as fizzing in hcl only provides a
indication that a basic mineral (carbonate or such) is present. The fact
that you, if I'm understanding right, are seeing what appears to be
feldspars, most likely points to a magmatic origin. vesicle size is not a
determinate of being magmatic or not, andesites can often have extemely
small vesicles. And, if I'm not wrong, I believe in Sweden is quite a bit of
plutonic rock, so its probable to be able to find lavas since plutons are
but cooled magma chambers.
Hope this helps, long winded as it is.
Mark