[meteorite-list] Archive: (meteorobs) Meteoroid heating: Ram pressure, friction or both?

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:13 2004

Hello all,

I saved a great post to the list by Russ K. that addressed this issue a
couple of years ago:

Compression is correct - but - compression is motion,
motion produces friction and thus heat. And, you are
right -- it's not just semantics. It identifies a process
making it a wonderful teaching model.

As the air (gas) molecules are compressed, they move.
Any "gas" that suddenly has to move (compression) has
more and more molecules banging into each other - heat
from friction.

The causal relationship is:

Compression/motion
Motion/friction
Friction/heat

What happens afterwards is a complex process called
gas dynamic drag which deals with the thermal effects of
gas in motion. Ultimately the resultant heat is partitioned
away from the meteoroid through ablation.

There have been several papers in "Meteoritics" over the
years addressing this process. I can look up some references
if you like.

Russ K.
New England Meteoritical

www.meteorlab.com