[meteorite-list] Ad/Update NWA 998 for Sale

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:51 2004

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C201AB.50A32620

Dear List Members,

Thank you for affording us the opportunity to introduce NWA 998, an =
anomalous 456 gram orthopyroxene bearing Nakhlite. In order to continue =
acquisitions and privately funded research our team has approved the =
release of 30 grams of this very unusual material for sale to private =
collectors. A generous portion has been set aside for research in the =
way of two separate type-samples which more than double the requirements =
of the Nomenclature Committee. Most of the 170 gram main mass will be =
preserved for future study and will remain in the Hupe Collection. By =
private treaty the rest will be traded to major museums.

Anomalous, when describing this meteorite, means it is a one-of-a-kind =
find. Although the study of this new Martian meteorite has just begun it =
has caused quite a stir in the scientific community. What makes NWA 998 =
so interesting is that it is the first Nakhlite found to contain =
discrete crystals of orthopyroxene, the major component of ALH84001, a =
unique orthopyroxenite. Like ALH84001, which at one time was sub-classed =
under nakhlites, ankeritic and other extraterrestrial carbonates have =
been identified in this meteorite. These carbonates are what made =
ALH84001 the world's most famous meteorite. These carbonates were =
deposited in this meteorite when underground carbonate-bearing water =
flowed through it beneath the surface of Mars. Another point of intense =
interest is the existence of simplectites, structures that will improve =
our knowledge of the geological processes on Mars. These structures =
indicate NWA 998 experienced a brief but intense geological upheaval on =
Mars. The creation of these simplectites involved super heated water =
that chemically altered portions of this meteorite and occurred after =
the rock crystallized. Water bearing minerals have been identified in =
this awesome meteorite as well. If this were not enough, this meteorite =
contains minerals believed to be created by extraterrestrial weathering. =

Several other unique features are being explored and if proven true will =
change forever the way we think about Mars. Its most important feature =
has yet to be proven but is trending greatly towards a monumental =
scientific discovery! We wish we could share more concerning this =
discovery but out of respect for the scientists we want to give them the =
opportunity to make the announcement first. After more confirming tests =
are completed this announcement will be made at the latest towards the =
end of July at the 65th Meteoritical Society meeting in Los Angeles. =
Expect to hear a lot more in the news about this most scientifically =
important find.=20

Click here to read more about NWA 998 on Ron Baalke's JPL NASA web site

 http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/news48.html

Click here to read more about NWA 998 on the CNN web site

 http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/05/15/mars.meteorites/index.html

Click here to read more about NWA 998 on the Space.com website=20

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/mars_meteorite_020517.h=
tml

A trade price of $10,000.00 a gram has been established for this find. =
To list members only, we will be offering the following specimens at =
$7,500.00 a gram. We have examples ranging in weight from 2mg to 756mg =
depending on your requirements. This material has been selling very =
briskly on eBay at the normal price. We realize many collectors do not =
purchase through eBay. This is why for the next week and a half we will =
make this material available to list members. This is a bargain =
considering the record price spent in its acquisition, it's =
extraordinary scientific value (arguably the most scientifically =
significant and unique find to come out of Africa) and the extremely =
limited amount of material available to the public. A recently found =
desert Nakhlite is being traded at $16,000.00 a gram, more than twice as =
much as these examples. Click here to see a few specimens that show the =
size to weight relationship www.nwessentials.com/nwa998/nwa998ruler.jpg=20

If interested, please contact us off the list at meteoritelab_at_attbi.com =
and let us know what size(s) you are interested in.

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C201AB.50A32620

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P>Dear List Members,</P>
<P>Thank you for affording us the opportunity to introduce NWA 998, an =
anomalous=20
456 gram orthopyroxene bearing Nakhlite. In order to continue =
acquisitions and=20
privately funded research our team has approved the release of 30 grams =
of this=20
very unusual material for sale to private collectors. A generous portion =
has=20
been set aside for research in the way of two separate type-samples =
which more=20
than double the requirements of the Nomenclature Committee. Most of the =
170 gram=20
main mass will be preserved for future study and will remain in the Hupe =

Collection. By private treaty the rest will be traded to major =
museums.</P>
<P>Anomalous, when describing this meteorite, means it is a =
one-of-a-kind find.=20
Although the study of this new Martian meteorite has just begun it has =
caused=20
quite a stir in the scientific community. What makes NWA 998 so =
interesting is=20
that it is the first Nakhlite found to contain discrete crystals of=20
orthopyroxene, the major component of ALH84001, a unique =
orthopyroxenite. Like=20
ALH84001, which at one time was sub-classed under nakhlites, ankeritic =
and other=20
extraterrestrial carbonates have been identified in this meteorite. =
These=20
carbonates are what made ALH84001 the world's most famous meteorite. =
These=20
carbonates were deposited in this meteorite when underground =
carbonate-bearing=20
water flowed through it beneath the surface of Mars. Another point of =
intense=20
interest is the existence of simplectites, structures that will improve =
our=20
knowledge of the geological processes on Mars. These structures indicate =
NWA 998=20
experienced a brief but intense geological upheaval on Mars. The =
creation of=20
these simplectites involved super heated water that chemically altered =
portions=20
of this meteorite and occurred after the rock crystallized. Water =
bearing=20
minerals have been identified in this awesome meteorite as well. If this =
were=20
not enough, this meteorite contains minerals believed to be created by=20
extraterrestrial weathering. </P>
<P>Several other unique features are being explored and if proven true =
will=20
change forever the way we think about Mars. Its most important feature =
has yet=20
to be proven but is trending greatly towards a monumental scientific =
discovery!=20
We wish we could share more concerning this discovery but out of respect =
for the=20
scientists we want to give them the opportunity to make the announcement =
first.=20
After more confirming tests are completed this announcement will be made =
at the=20
latest towards the end of July at the 65<SUP>th</SUP> Meteoritical =
Society=20
meeting in Los Angeles. Expect to hear a lot more in the news about this =
most=20
scientifically important find. </P><B>
<P>Click here to read more about NWA 998 on Ron Baalke's JPL NASA web =
site</P>
<P></B>&nbsp;<FONT face=3DArial><A=20
href=3D"http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/news48.html">http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/=
snc/news48.html</A></FONT></P><B>
<P>Click here to read more about NWA 998 on the CNN web site</P>
<P></B>&nbsp;<FONT face=3DArial><A=20
href=3D"http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/05/15/mars.meteorites/index.ht=
ml">http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/05/15/mars.meteorites/index.html</=
A></FONT></P><B>
<P>Click here to read more about NWA 998 on the Space.com website =
</B></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial><A=20
href=3D"http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/mars_meteorite_=
020517.html">http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/mars_meteo=
rite_020517.html</A></FONT></P>
<P>A trade price of $10,000.00 a gram has been established for this =
find. To=20
list members only, we will be offering the following specimens at =
$7,500.00 a=20
gram. We have&nbsp;examples ranging in weight from 2mg to 756mg =
depending on=20
your requirements. This material has been selling very briskly on eBay =
at=20
the&nbsp;normal price. We realize many collectors do not purchase =
through eBay.=20
This is why for the next week and a half we will make this material =
available to=20
list members. This is a bargain considering the record price spent in =
its=20
acquisition, it&#8217;s extraordinary scientific value (arguably the =
most=20
scientifically significant and unique find to come out of Africa) and =
the=20
extremely limited amount of material available to the public. A recently =
found=20
desert Nakhlite is being traded at $16,000.00 a gram, more than twice as =
much as=20
these examples. Click here to see a few specimens that show the size to =
weight=20
relationship <A=20
href=3D"http://www.nwessentials.com/nwa998/nwa998ruler.jpg">www.nwessenti=
als.com/nwa998/nwa998ruler.jpg</A>=20
</P></DIV><FONT face=3DArial>
<DIV>If interested, please contact us off the list at&nbsp;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:meteoritelab_at_attbi.com">meteoritelab@attbi.com</A>=20
</FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial>and let us know what=20
size(s)&nbsp;you are interested in.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>All the best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Adam and Greg Hupe</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The Hupe Collection</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>IMCA 2185</FONT></DIV>
<DIV></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C201AB.50A32620--