[meteorite-list] Lawrencite-like oozing from an H6 Impact Melt Breccia

From: Mal Bishop <magbish3_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:51 2004

Thanks to all that have responded so far, Ron H., Mike F., David C., Guy
S., David H.,
Matteo C., Tracey L., and Christian A. -- hope I didn't miss
anyone! Sorry, if I did!

I guess I've just been pretty fortunate with the vast majority of my "H"
stony meteorites as far as Lawrencite goes,
but rust is another story!

I've had some problems with rust like on El Hammami (due to camel sweat as
the story goes, but I'm pretty sure atmospheric conditions of just being on
Earth had very much to
do with that as well). As far as Kunya-Urgench goes, basically all brown
from rust, but holding up well otherwise, no oozing
so far at least, and I've had it for over 3 years (although I understand
that a good portion of the single meteorite sat for some
period of time in water or at least in a marshy like environment until it
could be removed -- am I correct on this?).
I've also had a problem or two with Pallasites like Brahin (rust), but
never any "Lawrencite" (ferrous chloride)
type oozing. But again, as I've said many times already, I'm no expert and
my experience level I still consider
intermediate even after 10 years of enjoying the hobby.

As Ron has mentioned, I do realize H's do have a lot of iron (i.e. free
metal (nickel/iron) not chemically bound in mineral form -- did I put
that fairly close to correct, Ron?) and would have a high tendency to rust,
but like I said, I just haven't read or remember hearing
anyone complain about this condition before with stony's -- just
irons. However, senility does begin early in my family. :-)

Finally, from what I understand, when it comes to Dhofar 010 only several
pieces totaling around 3.5 kg were found in Oman,
and being pretty badly weathered (W3), the epoxy was used to hold the cut
pieces together during finishing as they were rather
cracked and had a strong potential to break during the polishing
process! However, I doubt seriously that the epoxy has anything
to do with this, for one thing, my particular piece has hardly if any at
all, and secondly, the oozing on my piece is no were
around any of the fractured areas!

Believe it, or not, I'm through --

Mal