[meteorite-list] IMCA, Blood's comments

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:50 2004

--=====================_1790664==_.ALT

At 08:57 PM 5/19/02 -0500, Mark Bostick wrote:
> From M. Blood..
>
>Rob, Mike & all,
>We all know Rob & Mike are 100% honest & stand by their material.
>Why aren't you guys members? Since, as I understand it, the primary
>purpose of IMCA is to guarentee authenticity, why would anyone NOT be
>a member?
>If we aren't all in this togeather, then it is really worthless,
>impotent
>nonsense. (or, maybe I'm missing something - if so, someone please tell
>me what it is)
>Rob & Mike, I'm listening - tell me the strait poop - perhaps you have
>good reasons, in which case I will bale as well. If not, then let's all
>do the
>right thing.
>And Rhett, let's not be shy, here, or what's the point.
>RSVP
>Best wishes, Michael
>
>Michael,
>
>I think this is a very bad ideal. It is not our job or responsibility to
>police or try to control the market. The IMCA is a step and should be
>looked as such. I had the ideal of a dealers award. This could be another
>IMCA step. We could and should look for ways to expand it. This is not
>one of them (I believe).
>
>I run probley more meteorite auctions on eBay then anyone. I will not put
>any statement in my auctions telling bidders to only buy from IMCA
>members. For several reasons. One that comes to my head is I do not
>agree with all the members on their choice of ethics.
>
>Me and you (Blood) have both had problems with one member that has still
>not sent me a refund promised even in an e-mail to the list (Brad
>Sampson). (Yes Brad I understand, you lost my address the 8th time I sent
>it to you and you cant find my e-mail and couldnt find me in the
>meteorite-list archives).
>
>The IMCA from my understanding...as a member...only promises the meteorite
>is real. So I have no problem with others "ethnics"....the moment this
>changes I will have to see if this is a membership I wish to be a part of.
>
>Mark Bostick "The Big Collector"

To List Members,
Mark, and some others, makes several very good points here that I
support. Organizations such as the IMCA (Yes...I am a member) make
progress in baby steps, not giant ones. Whenever human beings are
involved, there will always be exceptions, rogues, and self-promoting
individuals in every well meaning group. Moreover, just because someone
doesn't belong to "the group" shouldn't make them a target of
suspicion. Progress in a positive direction takes time and requires
patience - there is no "quick fix" for the problems that ail society in
general and our group specifically. In a Utopian world, all items sold on
Ebay and the Internet would be legitimate and ethical. Until we reach that
higher standard, we should expect, though not condone, the frailties of
ignorant and devious seller alike.

What we can do is to make sure that those of us with knowledge conduct our
personal business in a forthright and fair manner. Eventually, the problem
will correct itself. Until then, expect problems along the way from self
centered people.

Sometimes the best and most memorable education a person can receive is at
the hand of a con man. We as a group - a group of meteorite collectors and
dealers, are not responsible to protest every prospective meteorite buyer
from being burned. The education and experience that can be gained from
"being taken" will only enlighten those that are quick to bid on an auction
item without doing their homework. I am not a baby sitter to everyone that
bids on meteorites on Ebay - nor are the rest of you. If you want to
champion a truely improtant cause with your time, take on something more
noble like feeding the hungry or housing the homeless.

Off My Soapbox,

John Gwilliam

John Gwilliam Meteorites
PO Box 26854
Tempe AZ 85285
http://www.meteoriteimpact.com
--=====================_1790664==_.ALT

At 08:57 PM 5/19/02 -0500, Mark Bostick wrote:<br>
Blood..</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
We all know Rob &amp; Mike are 100% honest &amp; stand by their
material.<br>
Why aren't you guys members?&nbsp; Since, as I understand it, the
primary<br>
purpose of IMCA is to guarentee authenticity, why would anyone NOT
be<br>
a member? <br>
If we aren't all in this togeather, then it is really worthless,<br>
impotent<br>
nonsense. (or, maybe I'm missing something - if so, someone please
tell<br>
me what it is)&nbsp; <br>
Rob &amp; Mike, I'm listening - tell me the strait poop - perhaps you
have<br>
good reasons, in which case I will bale as well. If not, then let's
all<br>
do the<br>
right thing. <br>
And Rhett, let's not be shy, here, or what's the point. <br>
RSVP<br>
Best wishes, Michael<br>
Michael, <br>
not our job or responsibility to police or try to control the
market.&nbsp; The IMCA is a step and should be looked as such.&nbsp; I
had the ideal of a dealers award. This could be another IMCA step.&nbsp;
We could and should look for ways to expand it.&nbsp; This is not one of
them (I believe).</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
then anyone.&nbsp; I will not put any statement in my auctions telling
bidders to only buy from IMCA members.&nbsp; For several reasons.&nbsp;
One that comes to my head is I do not agree with all the members on their
choice of ethics.&nbsp; </font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
one member that has still not sent me a refund promised even in an e-mail
to the list (Brad Sampson).&nbsp; (Yes Brad I understand, you lost my
address the 8th time I sent it to you and you cant find my e-mail and
couldnt find me in the meteorite-list archives).&nbsp; </font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
member...only promises the meteorite is real.&nbsp; So I have no problem
with others &quot;ethnics&quot;....the moment this changes I will have to
see if this is a membership I wish to be a part of.&nbsp; </font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
Mark, and some others, makes several very good points here that I
support.&nbsp; Organizations such as the IMCA (Yes...I am&nbsp; a member)
make progress in baby steps, not giant ones.&nbsp; Whenever human beings
are involved, there will always be exceptions, rogues, and self-promoting
individuals in every well meaning group.&nbsp; Moreover, just because
someone doesn't belong to &quot;the group&quot; shouldn't make them a
target of suspicion.&nbsp; Progress in a positive direction takes time
and requires patience - there is no &quot;quick fix&quot; for the
problems that ail society in general and our group specifically.&nbsp; In
a Utopian world, all items sold on Ebay and the Internet would be
legitimate and ethical.&nbsp; Until we reach that higher standard, we
should expect, though not condone, the frailties of ignorant and devious
seller alike.<br>
What we can do is to make sure that those of us with knowledge conduct
our personal business in a forthright and fair manner.&nbsp; Eventually,
the problem will correct itself.&nbsp; Until then, expect problems along
the way from self centered people.<br>
Sometimes the best and most memorable education a person can receive is
at the hand of a con man.&nbsp; We as a group - a group of meteorite
collectors and dealers, are not responsible to protest every prospective
meteorite buyer from being burned.&nbsp; The education and experience
that can be gained from &quot;being taken&quot; will only enlighten those
that are quick to bid on an auction item without doing their
homework.&nbsp; I am not a baby sitter to everyone that bids on
meteorites on Ebay - nor are the rest of you.&nbsp; If you want to
champion a truely improtant cause with your time, take on something more
noble like feeding the hungry or housing the homeless.<br>
Off My Soapbox,<br>
John Gwilliam<br>