[meteorite-list] Ebay M-wrong

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:50 2004

Hi Michael and all,
I think the idea of telling people to only buy from IMCA members is a bad
one that I do not agree with. There are some rather big shots that are not
members (Mike Farmer, Rob Elliot are two that come to mind) that are not
members that often sell items on eBay. I wouldn't want to knock their sales
any.
The IMCA was created to add an element of security to buying meteorites
(especially on eBay) that's not there in any other form. If you see that
someone is a member then you know that there are over 100 other people
watching you with a close eye to make sure you sell only the real deal and
will highly encourage you to stay totally honest. IMCA members are held to
higher standards than other people collecting meteorites.
I'd also like to say that our efforts are working too. I have been
contacted by people who have seen our logos on eBay and wish to join so that
they can sell there meteorwrong on eBay. Because potential members have to
have at least two references to get in these people were not able to get in
and I was able to convince them that they need to get their rocks classified
by an accredited lab before attempting to sell it on eBay. To this date
I've not seen any of these people go on to try to sell their rocks.
I know some people have their reasons for not joinging the IMCA (which I
totally respect) but I would like to invite all people who are not yet
members to join up and make this organization even stronger than it is now.
All that is required of you is that only sell/trade exactly what you say and
you can get a couple current members (see
www.meteoritecollectors.org/numbers.htm to see the list of over 100 current
members) to say you're honest. If any of the big boys (ROB, MIKE!!!) or the
smallest of collectors would like to join please email me.
Thanks everyone,
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com
www.asteroidmodels.com/personal