[meteorite-list] meteorite conservation in coastal areas

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:31 2004

1. Dessicant packets, preferably the type that can be recharged w/o
forming gases noxious to your meteorites (see a previous discussion from
about 6 months ago.) Tuck one in with each meteorite you value.

2. Display boxes with really good seals.

3. Sealants to be applied directly to your meteorite, although these vary
in how good they are. It also depends on how well preserved your
meteorite is to begin with; for example, on most Nantans, sealants are
useless/worthless :-) Why bother locking in the dread lawrencite to your
valued specimen?

4. In emergency situations, there are various treatments involving
soaking the meteorite in chemicals to drive out the water and chloride
compounds, then thoroughly drying.

>From my experience, it seems to hit the pallasites worst and first, then
some irons. I have some rust showing on my Brenham and Brahin, and my
slices of Chinga and Fredericksburg. Whole irons seem largely immune, but
my Ghubara slice started oozing within a couple of months, and I have to
keep it either dried or pickled. Good luck with preserving your
collection.

Tracy Latimer