[meteorite-list] meteorite conservation in coastal areas

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:31 2004

Hi Dennis,
        I live AT LEAST 10 mi. from San Diego Bay & 15mi from the ocean
(guess more like 9 & 10 "as the crow flies") and I have found I cannot
keep ANY etched irons and ANY meteorite with ANY tendancy to rust
will do so as quickly as possible in my collection. It is so bad I NEVER
collect or sell sliced irons. I do have ONE piece that was prepared by
Russ Kempton of NEMS that is stable - it is double coated with a thick
covering of an acrylic type sealant and is fine. That's it.
        FURTHERMORE, it rains about 300 days a year on the coast of
Oregon, so, besides for the salty sea air, you will have exceptionally
high humidity. I would abandon all hope of collecting slices unless
they were especially prepared for freservation in such conditions
by Russ Kempton or Ron Hartman. They are the wizards of iron
finishing and preservation.
         BUT, there are LOTS of meteorites that are not etched irons!
        (The coast of Oregon is BEAUTIFUL beyond measure
BUT if you have the slightest tendancy to seasonal affective disorder
 - or are "moody" when it is overcast and rainy for
days.....weeks....months...
YEARS on end, forget living there).
        Good luck! Michael

--
"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain
occasions
that I wish it to be always kept alive."
-- Thomas Jefferson
--
More Worth Seeing:
-  Earth at night from satalite: